2" 22WM vs. 3" 22 LR/hands going bad

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
BDK

2" 22WM vs. 3" 22 LR/hands going bad

Post by BDK »

As most of y'all know, I beat myself up, pretty thoroughly, in my youth.

I've started shooting again, recently, and I'm working on trying to get my hands back, but I am struggling to hold onto my guns.

I tried my old FN 57 - I cannot seem to get my right hand to grab the gun hard enough to control it. (I guess I could try weaver stance. 2 thumbs forward, and I keep pushing right.) My right hand can't reliably work the safety, and I don't like carrying it right handed, as I would have a very difficult time working the safety.

I can still work my open gun. I haven't tried my 2011s left handed yet... Might be the best option, but I cannot seem to find reliable carry mags. I tried STI and MBX, and only my SVI 140MM mags seem to work - SVI no longer makes mags to fit STI frames, TMK. I suppose I could carry it w. a 140MM mag, but I'm not certain.

I'll try my P7 as well, but even my 57 is causing some hand issues. EDIT: P7 isn't going to work. G17 is closer to working, but I promised I wouldn't carry a Glock around the kids (niece and nephew) until they get older.

Right now, I'm carrying my Harton Bearcat in 327, and it will work to close distances, and its fine as I just fire it one handed. (The grip is too small to use my right hand on.)

So, all a long-winded way to say I'm thinking about a 351PD or a 317, or a 63. I looked up chronograph tests, and it seems like they all push a 40gr bullet to about the same velocity.

The 22LRs have an extra round, and more sight radius. I can put laser grips on both, and I'm guessing they both will require very accurate shooting.
Last edited by BDK on Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackeagle603

Re: 2" 22WM vs. 3" 22 LR/hands going bad

Post by blackeagle603 »

Would love to have a thread hijack to talk about your hands -- and biohacking them back to health.

What's the issue? Old injury? Arthritic? Neuromuscular weakness of some sort?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

Is the issue retention under recoil?

With either a 22WM or 22LR you are giving up a lot going with such a short barrel and that is after already giving up a lot due to caliber. Would something like the Keltec PMR30 be an option. Using that with the gold dot ammo designed for short barrel / pistol is a winning solution for many with hand issues, recoil sensitive...and you get thirty shots.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

I'm having a hard time trusting my right hand. I cannot seem to push hard enough to control a semi-auto/to try to squeeze on a semi auto causes "serious" pain... Not as in "hurts too bad to stand it" but "aches for 3 days afterwards, and feels like the bad "something is hurt and getting worse pain..." The pain is in my wrist, and deep inside my forearm, about midway down.

Certain grip angles are OK - hence why I can shoot single-actions, and very small gripped revolvers - small grips on J frames. Don't seem to have any particular weakness once my grip is closed, enough.

As far as injuries - wrist described by docs as "feeling like a sock full of pebbles, spent the better part of 7 years with one fracture or another, split the metacarpal behind my middle finger, the metacarpal behind my pinkie doesn't always want to stay in, and my thumb's metacarpal slips out of location, from time to time - probably no more than once every few years. Recently got all of them to slip back in place.

Strongman may not be the most intelligent form of recreation...
Precision

Post by Precision »

I hear you on the last sentence. Conveniently, I never had that option. Too small.

But I did mess up a knee following mid 70's weight / powerlifting advice (in the late 80's). Doing squats. If you can do more than 6 reps, add more weight. Went from 135# to 410# in the course of a school semester. Was also told box squats were the thing. As in put a (slightly padded) box behind you. When your butt hits it, go back up. Surprised I don't have a crushed spine from that "brilliant" plan.

The legs muscles could handle the load increase. The padding between bones -- could not.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Ouch.

You been after that hand with any hacks to try to promote more healing?

dietary supportS?:
Collagen supplementation/K2
Proteolytic enzymes to break down scartissue (working wonders for me in some spots. YMMV)

LLLT( Low level Laser Therapy) or Red/Near IR therapy
Prolotherapy, PRP, Stem cells?
PEMF

Do not go gently into this good night
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

When I was still competing, one doc mentioned trying to shrink the sinews with a laser - the others I checked it out with, thought it was not a permanent fix.

I'm doing "better." I've been shooting more, but I'm also being careful as many of my injuries got compounded because I do not feel pain properly.

Yeah, "box" squats are somewhat useful - we were not to do more than 225 with them, though. And, we pretty quickly changed to doing pause squats and bottom-up squats - which are rather easy to do with a strongman yoke. None of which are appropriate for folks who don't have a few years of competition under their belt. You have to really know what a good position feels like, before you do any real work with them.

Common coaching tool though, with very light weights, to teach a new lifter how to squat - but we're talking no more than 135, and maybe just the bar.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Interestingly, I'm learning to appreciate lesser calibers.

I have, very, comfortably been shooting wadcutters out of my 12 oz J frame. I'm shooting it far more accurately, and faster, than I ever was with a pocket gun - and, frankly, I don't think I really give up much, as most JHPs do not work that reliably out of small guns.

I might get a longer barreled 38, and carry Federals HST 38 Specials.

Similarly, as I'm starting to do better, I'm considering getting a Browning 1911-380, and loading it with standard pressure Buffalo Bore wadcutters.

They have LOTS of penetration, in a cartridge which doesn't seem to drive JHPs well, regardless.

It is SO easy to control and aim a small Glock 380, or even an airweight J frame compared to the ultra-compact 9s or 45s I used to carry, that I'm not sure that anything below a G19 or a Commander 45, actually makes sense.

It did, before locked breech 380s, but that little Glock just does not move. I think someone with some real skill could shoot quite masterfully with one.

Similarly, I think a 3" barreled Kimber revolver could really be interesting in the hands of a master. It has a very nice trigger, and almost feels as well balanced as a 3" 686.

Not like a 2011 in 38 Super, or a 5" 1911, but I do have a fair number of rounds through that platform. I haven't tried my 1911. I shot someone's stock Kimber, and struggled to chamber it, but it was also "hot as balls" and coated with some kind of coating, which felt like it was oiled.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

BDK wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:17 amSimilarly, I think a 3" barreled Kimber revolver could really be interesting in the hands of a master. It has a very nice trigger, and almost feels as well balanced as a 3" 686.
I'm no master, and my Taurus 85-3 is no Kimber, but I like it. I think a 3" .38 has a lot going for it.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
BDK

Post by BDK »

So would a light weight 45 acp revolver with a 3" barrel...

I'm not sure what to make of those ballistic charts. They do not seem to line up with my personal experience shooting silhouette targets.