School Me on AR-15 Builds

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Greg

Re: School Me on AR-15 Builds

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:38 am
Greg wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 pm If they could do a 'lower bulk pack' as one transfer fee......
My FFL charges per form, not per serial number. :D
I need to find one like that.

Actually that might be bad, for the next time PSA does one of those 30 buck stripped lower deals.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
toad

Post by toad »

Digression: One problem that I have is trying to get to a range where I can sight in a long gun. Also I'm trying to find a set up that is short as possible. Another digression, Kel-Tec .223 folders really, really, inhale animal parts. So is there a system that would let me sight in a rifle to a reasonable degree of goblin for urban ranges, say about a 100 yards ?
randy

Post by randy »

When I was in the .mil (80s) we sighted M-16s at 25 meters (Battle Sight Zero). The theory was that you sight in at center of mass at 25 meters , and the trajectory of 5.56 would put it back at center of mass at 250 meters, with the bullet rise staying within a man sized profile in between. We used reduced silhouette targets that you can find online. I'll try to find a printable one to post later.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Found some of the targets I was speaking of. Confirmed I can't upload PDF files, but here are some other formats. If you print them sized to 81/2 by 11" you should be pretty close to the original targets.
25MetersZeroingTarget.jpg
M1625Mzerotgt.gif
There are printable targets in PDF here:

http://www.bobdbob.com/~deneb/doc/targets/index.html

M-15/Ar-15 25 Meter Zeroing target
http://www.bobdbob.com/~deneb/doc/targe ... m-zero.pdf

M-4 25 Meter Zeroing target
http://www.bobdbob.com/~deneb/doc/targe ... e-zero.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
toad

Post by toad »

Thanks , I'd forgotten about the twenty five , meter zero. I'd recently discovered my printer will only load and print Pdf files. Weird.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The 25 yard zero is useful as its also close to 200ish yard zero for most cartridges
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 pm Two words: Aero Precision.
I just ordered four of their Gen 2 AR-15 lowers from Aim Surplus, which are on sale for $50 each. My oldest son and I are going to try our first AR builds.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have found if you call Palmetto State Armory and ask for the $29 per receiver price they will give it to you. Esp if you buy several.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.