Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
randy

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by randy »

So, you haven't done Saints yet? :twisted:

I'm re-working my way back through the main series after reading MHI: Guardian. Up to Nemesis.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I read Saints last week and I am partly through Guardian.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:52 pm So, you haven't done Saints yet? :twisted:

I'm re-working my way back through the main series after reading MHI: Guardian. Up to Nemesis.
I need to dig through my books to find out whether I have it. That room, unfortunately, became a dumping ground during a recent remodel of another room. I also didn't see the original MHI, so maybe Saints is hanging out with it.

I'll get Guardian when it goes to mass paperback.

ETA: just checked my Amazon orders. Don't see Saints. So I ordered it. Should be here tomorrow, if Amazon is telling the truth.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

I have them all as ebooks. I buy the leather bound editions for Christmas and BD presents for Darlin' Daughter . Makes her happy, saves me time, effort and money (compared say, to a new Hi Power or even AR or Glock)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I actually keep a list of the books I read. For 2019, I totalled 46 books, which is down from the well above the norm 79 I managed in 2018.

Of those 46, 11 were non-fiction, 35 fiction. Austin Bay was the only non-fiction author to make the list twice. On the fiction side, David Weber had 7 books, Christopher Nutall had 6, and Orson Scott Card 5.

I ended the year with 5 non-fiction works partially read, along with 3 on the fiction side. Back to work on finishing them...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Freehold Resistance, by Mike Z. Williams. Glad to see he is letting others play in his sandbox.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

TheArmsman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:13 am Freehold Resistance, by Mike Z. Williams. Glad to see he is letting others play in his sandbox.
Ditto.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I've been doing easy reading lately - MHI series and associated books. I'll get Guardian when it comes out in paperback.

Lots of Nero Wolfe. Archie Goodwin cracks me up. And the other day, I read Nero Wolfe asking a young lady something like, "Is Mr. X enjoying the usufructs of gallantry with you?" What a card! :lol:

I'm thinking I need to explore Richard Feynman. Has anyone read any of his stuff?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

From late fall and winter: Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita and The White Guard; two collections of short stories by Isaac Babel, Red Cavalry and (currently reading) You Must Know Everything ; just finished a good hard sci-fi novel called Frozen Orbit by Patrick Chiles; a couple chapters to go in Hughes and Girrier's Fleet Tactics and Naval Operations (third edition; I also have the first edition).

All highly recommended.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I've been reading the latest story in HuntedTribes - basically, a nubsg/battletech fusion fic. Lets just say the Cavils didnt take too well to the idea of a galaxy with 4 trillion humans in it, and their perferred form of warfare is 12 meter tall hundred ton war machines.

The latest crosse with another popular fan setting in batlletech : Kowloon. All you need to know is go google "Elbar toothpicks" :shock:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index. ... ic=67637.0
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt