School Me on AR-15 Builds

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

Re: School Me on AR-15 Builds

Post by Precision »

The specialty tools save on swearing, reduce pin and detent launching but certainly are not needed. Duct tape is a very good scratch reducer.

I have some of the tools and keep telling myself, I don't need the others as this is certainly my LAST AR build. Never is...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

The kit comes with a complete upper. Thus the only tools needed are:

Opposable thumbs.
Hex key for the pistol grip screw.

Castle nut spanner or armorers wrench might be handy, but not strictly needed.

Really, putting this together is less work than a Lego kit.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Precision wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:08 pm The specialty tools save on swearing, reduce pin and detent launching but certainly are not needed. Duct tape is a very good scratch reducer...
I laughed out loud when I read this because it’s so true. Every time I get too casual with one of those detents I end up fumbling or launching it.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Or you can get the Aero lower and just not have to deal with errant punches messing up the side of your receiver...

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-s ... ized-black
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I built a .300 blackout this weekend and a .458 SOCOM using the Palmetto lowers, at $29 they are a no brainer and I always buy 4-6 when they go on sale. Makes good trade fodder for a basic rifle as well. I am halfway through two more builds I will probably finish today or tomorrow. My advise is get one of those pop open laundry baskets or a big box and point everything in it when working. You WILL launch a some tiny pins and springs and it makes a matter of seconds to find and not days reordering. Ask me how I know. Do, it's easy and fun.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Combat Controller wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:04 pmI always buy 4-6 when they go on sale..
I still dont understand why psa and Anderson dont do bulk packs of lowers at a reduced price - your comment just adds to my belief that 10-12 lowers at 300ish would make money, just like the periodic buĺk deals on magpul magazines.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Indeed. No idea why.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

If they could do a 'lower bulk pack' as one transfer fee......
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Greg wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 pm If they could do a 'lower bulk pack' as one transfer fee......
My FFL charges per form, not per serial number. :D
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Last I looked, TN Arms sells their polymer lowers in 3-packs. Maybe 6s as well.

I've put together 2 PSA Freedom kits on TN Arms lowers. So far, so good, at least for range plinking.

Fortuna Fortis Paratus