USAF buying new F-15s

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
HTRN

Re: USAF buying new F-15s

Post by HTRN »

There are treaty limitations on how many b52s we can have operational. The second one goes down permanetly, they pull the best aiframe out of the boneyard and run it through the rebuild shop.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'd love to see a new F-111. This time, though, the designers need to mount internal guns on it in case a strafing run on light vehicles is needed even if it's something weird like two Bushmasters in 25mm. I doubt they'd be useful for air-to-air unless you're coming up on a Tu-95.

The only problem with the F-111 now is no frames, no assembly lines, and thus no real way to add in the advances in maintenance, flight control avionics or attack systems.

An EF model with HARM capability in addition to an improved and ALQ-99 system would be fantastic for the frame.

No frames and no production, though, make it a hard sell.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It would make a great ewar/bombtruck platform. Leave actual combat to the raptors, and yse ut as an attack bird.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I doubt they'd be useful for air-to-air unless you're coming up on a Tu-95.
Hey "That ain't nothin'!" Especially in light of PRC's designs on the South China Sea.

I say bring on the 111's, they were designed for the boat weren't they? We'll make room for them on the roof if you can throw in a gross of AIM-54 Phoenix's for old times sake.

This offer is good until/unless an order is placed with Bethpage Ironworks for a resurrected F-14 with an updated avionics/firecontrol suite.

signed on behalf of Reagan era Airedales everywhere.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 pm
I doubt they'd be useful for air-to-air unless you're coming up on a Tu-95.
Hey "That ain't nothin'!" Especially in light of PRC's designs on the South China Sea.

I say bring on the 111's, they were designed for the boat weren't they? We'll make room for them on the roof if you can throw in a gross of AIM-54 Phoenix's for old times sake.

This offer is good until/unless an order is placed with Bethpage Ironworks for a resurrected F-14 with an updated avionics/firecontrol suite.

signed on behalf of Reagan era Airedales everywhere.
"There is not enough thrust in all of Christendom to make the F-111 carrier capable"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:53 pm"There is not enough thrust in all of Christendom to make the F-111 carrier capable"
F135-400: hold my bèer. :ugeek: ;)

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well, the A-3 Skywarrior was carrier launched and had a takeoff weight of something like 82-84K lbs (within the same range as a standard loadout for the Aardvark), with half the thrust/weight ratio of the F-111.

So if we can make that work, why not an improved F-111?
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My bad, I neglected a critical variable...

I do believe the stall speeds at mission loaded are only slightly different, something like 20 mph
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Heh, yeah so we went with F-14's with the wrong "interim" underpowered engines instead. Great times working on the roof though as a result. Nothing like a Tomcat in tension at full burner. Visceral sound bombardment bordering on the sexual.
The General Dynamics/Grumman F-111B was a long-range carrier-based interceptor aircraft that was planned to be a follow-on to the F-4 Phantom II for the United States Navy (USN).

The F-111B was developed in the 1960s by General Dynamics in conjunction with Grumman for the U.S. Navy as part of the joint Tactical Fighter Experimental (TFX) with the United States Air Force (USAF) to produce a common fighter for the services that could perform a variety of missions. It incorporated innovations such as variable-geometry wings, afterburning turbofan engines, and a long-range radar and missile weapons system.

Designed in parallel with the F-111 "Aardvark", which was adopted by the Air Force as a strike aircraft, the F-111B suffered development issues and changing Navy requirements for an aircraft with maneuverability for dogfighting. The F-111B was not ordered into production and the F-111B prototypes were used for testing before being retired. The F-111B would be replaced by the smaller and lighter Grumman F-14 Tomcat, which carried over the engines, AWG-9/Phoenix weapons system, and similar swing-wing configuration.
Wiki
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

Spend the same money on drone swarm development, and more, on single-pad encrypted communication channels, and simple, audited, equipment. Be sure its cheap, and mass-produced. Wars have to be won, based on economics. Essentially, its about whether or not you can afford the costs required to reduce the enemy to an ineffective force.

We cannot afford sufficient forces to eliminate every jackass, at our current cost/dead terrorist. And out own government is strangling us so badly, we really cannot afford it anymore, either.