Robert Francis O’Rourke’s nickname

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Windy Wilson

Robert Francis O’Rourke’s nickname

Post by Windy Wilson »

I want to know more about the fabulist presidential candidate Beto’s nickname and how he truly acquired it.
If he was named by his parents’ housekeeper, why wasn’t he nicknamed, “Tito”, or “Little Bit”, as a friend of my brother was called by practically everyone, into college.
If it was his own housekeeper who gave him the nickname, what does his wife think about their housekeeper giving him a nickname? What does it really mean? Has the housekeeper had any children who have an uncanny resemblance to him like Schwarzenegger’s housekeeper did?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
BDK

Re: Robert Francis O’Rourke’s nickname

Post by BDK »

Beto is a common nickname for someone named Robert in S. TX
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

His father was a judge (which is, allegedly, how he got off from a DWI Causes Accident and attempting to leave the scene with barely a slap on the wrist) and had political ambitions for his son. Story is, the senior O'Rourke gave his son the nickname (instead of, you know, Bob/Bobb or Rob/Robby) in order to appeal more to El Paso large number of Hispanic voters.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:24 am Beto is a common nickname for someone named Robert in S. TX
Somehow, "Shithead" seems more appropriate. ;)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 pm
BDK wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:24 am Beto is a common nickname for someone named Robert in S. TX
...looking for the like button
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

But if you're talking about politicians and say "Shithead" the question arises "Which one?"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:47 pm

But if you're talking about politicians and say "Shithead" the question arises "Which one?"
All of them. :ugeek: :evil:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Oh, I'm sure he had all manner of nicknames, which were not going to be used by mass media...
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I keep hearing "Beta".

I know he's saying Beto but is comes across as Beta everytime.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

The correct pronunciation is Beh-to, not Bay-to.

I live in Texas, and was seeing signs for months and months before the last election, and pronouncing it Bay-to in my head, until I happened to have the local news on one day about October.

I have seen internet bloggers refer to him as "Beta O'Dork."
Fortuna Fortis Paratus