$15 Minimum Wage => Bankruptcy

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

$15 Minimum Wage => Bankruptcy

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/min ... bankruptcy

Meh, I am sure everyone losing their jobs supported it.
Odahi

Re: $15 Minimum Wage => Bankruptcy

Post by Odahi »

And still I see that there are literally millions of good jobs going unfilled. The skilled trades are crying for workers in many places. Trade schools are a lot less expensive than a university, they are often subsidized by employers, even to the tune of a full ride, and students are sometimes hired even before they graduate. And the pay is good, too. But one big MINUS for young people today is that their teachers scoff at these jobs, and push them to stay in school,to get a useless degree that will often not even lead to employment. And, of course, you have to WORK in those jobs. But go ahead, snowflake, pile up the debt, come out with a degree in fourteenth-century French poetry, and then wind up working at a minimum-wage job because you can't DO anything. And don't WANT to do anything. At least they got to have four years of partying at school.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Odahi wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:26 pm And still I see that there are literally millions of good jobs going unfilled. The skilled trades are crying for workers in many places. Trade schools are a lot less expensive than a university, they are often subsidized by employers, even to the tune of a full ride, and students are sometimes hired even before they graduate. And the pay is good, too. But one big MINUS for young people today is that their teachers scoff at these jobs, and push them to stay in school,to get a useless degree that will often not even lead to employment. And, of course, you have to WORK in those jobs. But go ahead, snowflake, pile up the debt, come out with a degree in fourteenth-century French poetry, and then wind up working at a minimum-wage job because you can't DO anything. And don't WANT to do anything. At least they got to have four years of partying at school.
more truth here than allowed on much of the interwebs.

The GF has two teen female tardicans who are heading full tilt towards that method. I say my piece and move on. The GF agrees, but lazy ass dad is bankrupting himself (while working a shit job) to keep them in the denial they so love. He has military training for Occupational Therapy, which he is pretty good at. Local starting pay is $20-25/hr, but would require him to take a certification test for non-military utilization. He can't be bothered to take the test. So he is working for peanuts "selling" cell phone plans with do nothing / earn nothing / bitch a lot 20 somethings. It fits as his 44 year old ass is on the same maturity level as them.

I predict a poor outcome for him and his daughters. Popcorn at the ready.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Even Bernie Sanders can't afford to afford to pay his people $15 per hour :lol:

https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/bernie-sa ... l-workers/

Do as I say, not as I do.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

Where I live is a rural county, with really only one air conditioner/appliance repair business.

A couple of years ago, a young guy that works for them decided he didn't like their prices. That they were charging more because of the lack of competition. He decided he could do better than that.

And he has. He works full time and then some, as he is getting plenty of calls. I don't think he is even 25 yet. But he is willing to work and get dirty and sweaty doing it. He's not going to have any problem providing for his family.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I understand that after adjusting for inflation the minimum wage is about what it was in 1967. Does that mean we’re going to get a severe recession like the one in 1969 and ten years of inflation and high unemployment, malaise and stagnation?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Windy Wilson wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:39 am I understand that after adjusting for inflation the minimum wage is about what it was in 1967.
Nope corrected for inflation, its 11.78 in 2019 dollars.

Also 1968 was the highest amount paid corrected for inflation sinec min wage started, until this 15/hr bullshit started.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt