Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Netpackrat

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Netpackrat »

A cow-orker pushed me into Larry Niven's "Known Space" universe and they are beginning to stack up around here. Just finished "Protector" and started Man-Kzin Wars VI today.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My mother-in-law loves murder mysteries. She sent me some of the Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout. Surprisingly enjoyable.

The introductions tend to repeat that people don't read them over and over for the plots, but for the character interactions. I haven't quite decided why I like them yet, but that may be part of it. He wrote them between 1934 and 1975. I've been reading the older ones, and I enjoy the older style.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Just ordered an e-book copy of Rudyard Kipling: The Complete Novels and Stories $1.99 in Kindle format.

I have a lot of his stuff in various formats, but for the price I just couldn't resist. Some reviews bitched about the formatting and navigation, but it couldn't be any worse than some of the text versions I've collected along the way.

Link if anyone is interested:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YVMHXB/re ... 80_TE_M1DP
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Nice, Randy. I have lots of old hardbacks with some overlap. Not absolutely sure I have everything covered. I do have a large paperback that claims to be all of his verse.

I've been enjoying Nero Wolfe mysteries lately. It took two or three books to get into the swing of it, but now I'm hooked.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

I recently read 'Kaigun' by Evans and Peattie, about the IJN. Been meaning to read it since browsing it at Borders in the 90s. Finally got around to buying it for myself. Maybe I'm a little slow. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 am A cow-orker pushed me into Larry Niven's "Known Space" universe and they are beginning to stack up around here. Just finished "Protector" and started Man-Kzin Wars VI today.
Have you read the Ringworld books yet?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Euler's Elements of Algebra.

I loved math as a kid but stunk at both it and time management to study. My teachers wouldn't explain a lot of these concepts to non-AP students. I wish I'd looked for this in middle school.

Now I'm a little better at time management, I might be able to enjoy the pursuit of more math subjects.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 am
Netpackrat wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 am A cow-orker pushed me into Larry Niven's "Known Space" universe and they are beginning to stack up around here. Just finished "Protector" and started Man-Kzin Wars VI today.
No. Was I supposed to? I didn't find much guidance on what order one should read any of them in.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:48 am
HTRN wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 am
No. Was I supposed to? I didn't find much guidance on what order one should read any of them in.
No worries. You might enjoy them if you enjoyed the others.

I've enjoyed pretty much every Known Space thing I've read. But the Fleet of Worlds series is really boring.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just finished George Eliot's Romola and T.R. Fehrenbach's This Kind of War (v. highly recommended, though Fehrenbach is a lot more sympathetic to both Douglas MacArthur and Woodrow ****ing Wilson than I am).

Currently reading Arjun Subramaniam's India's Wars: A Military History, 1947-1971, Eric Beinhocker's The Origin of Wealth, and Ian Toll's Six Frigates.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!