Chernobyl

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jered

Chernobyl

Post by Jered »

I'm watching this series on HBO.

I've read several books about the disaster, and this miniseries seems to be pretty accurate about what happened.

I think they used at least part of one of the evacuation announcements in the show.

They filmed some of it at an actual RBMK reactor and used one of the Soviet era towns in Lithuania for filming.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
TheArmsman

Re: Chernobyl

Post by TheArmsman »

Thanks for the tip. Fiancee has been wanting to watch this, wasn't sure if it was worth the time or not.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Jered

Post by Jered »

It's worth a chance.

I haven't seen any blatantly obvious 'nukular bad' propaganda.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

This is a quote from the series author, transcribed by myself, from episode three of the yourtube podcast about the show.

"The last thing I want the show to do is scare people about nuclear power. This is not a polemic about nuclear power. However it's about respecting it for what it can do, because what it can do is savage."

I don't think there is going to be a problem here, and so far I think it's an excellent show. I have seen some attempting to liken the Soviet bureaucracys attempts at minimizing the disaster to Trumps attempts to minimize global warming. Other arguments on the topic aside, one can not take out their global warm-o-meter and see that the warming levels are tens of orders of magnitude above where they should be. With radiation you can.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I have not seen it, since I do not watch TV and all. Being a former nuke, I doubt I could sit through the wrongness of the artistic license anyway.

If this piece is accurate, while it may work as art, it is rubbish as science.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshe ... 263088632f
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

They may have gotten some of the science wrong, but seems the shows was more about the Soviets back then. And just how bad they really were.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
randy

Post by randy »

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

The podcast goes into allot of detail about why certain changes were made to the historical events. The basic idea though is that in order to tell an interesting and engaging story and cram the whole thing into 5 hours certain alterations had to be made.