FN30 build kit w/ 80% sideplate

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Cybrludite

FN30 build kit w/ 80% sideplate

Post by Cybrludite »

A friend of mine has a line on some of these. Basically a kit to build a semi-auto M1919 variant. Anyone know how much of a pain it would be to build one of these and if $950 is a good price for just the kit & 80% side plate? (No tripod)
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Jered

Re: FN30 build kit w/ 80% sideplate

Post by Jered »

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Given what 1919 parts kits seem to go for these days, that is probably a good deal. No idea on the build and particularly the 80% receiver, but I do know there is a lot of riveting involved. My gunsmith friend talks shit about most weapons but he seems to like the 1919; he tried to talk me into doing one back when the parts were still relatively cheap.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Built quite a number when I was still an 07, Karma triggers are the way to go in my experience. Whatever ya do try not to mix FN30 parts with USGI parts; similar but MANY DIFFERENCES. Carbide cutters are (almost) mandatory, those pcs are HARD. Ohio Black Sheep makes a really good crank trigger, too. Feed guides vary considerably between calibers too. And riveting is tough unless you make custom fitted backer bars to buck the internal ends of the rivets. Then there's the welding of the large diameter rivets, preferably heliarc but YMMV.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cybrludite wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:45 am A friend of mine has a line on some of these. Basically a kit to build a semi-auto M1919 variant. Anyone know how much of a pain it would be to build one of these and if $950 is a good price for just the kit & 80% side plate? (No tripod)
If theyre not considered a firearm, i might be interested.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt