USAF buying new F-15s

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
HTRN

Re: USAF buying new F-15s

Post by HTRN »

Honestly? Im surprised they decided to go with the f15 - theyre looking to purchase a 100 general atomics avengers, which while having a reduced payload compared to the Eagle ( 6k lbs), theyre much cheaper(under 15 mil), have a ridiculous loiter time (20 hours), and no pilot.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

I think SoupOrMan could give some insight into the viability of the F-111 (IIRC he was a maintenance troop working on them). I think the word "nightmare" might be appropriate.

As much as I loved the 'Vark as a weapons platform (right up there with the A-6 when I was weaponeering) it was always a bastard step-child of McNamara (hack-spit) and keeping them in the air was becoming an increasing issue even in the early 90's.

When the Strike Eagle came on line we used the F-111 data as approximation for planning purposes until we got specific test data and it turned out to be a fairly close approximation, especially with dumb iron. Of course with guided weapons, even the Electric Lawn Dart can be an almost adequate air to mud platform.

latest I've seen in open source is the AF is looking at UAVs as unmanned wingmen for fighter and attack birds to carry munitions directed by the manned platform, which could help with the bomb truck missions.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

latest I've seen in open source is the AF is looking at UAVs as unmanned wingmen for fighter and attack birds to carry munitions directed by the manned platform, which could help with the bomb truck missions.

/slaps forehead/ Now that's a ponder. Why didn't I think of that. heh
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

The F-15x is a good buy, and it's a good buy for it's actual primary mission, which is North American Air Defense. Playing bomb truck is secondary.

Those F-15s we have up at Elmendorf have a ton of hours on the airframes.

The -x is basically a single seat Strike Eagle with an F-22 AESA radar. It's going to be replacing our aging F-15C aircraft, but with significantly better Air-to-air radar plus air-to-ground.

And even with two engines, maintenance costs are less than the JSF.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

g-man wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:20 amCAS? I wants me a damn A-10 and the boatload of Brrrrt it brings along.
"I sure hope I get killed by a platform notorious for blue-on-blue deaths and can't show up in time when it does its job right"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Termite wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 am IMHO, as a former grunt and later helo pilot, nothing does CAS better than the A-10 and the AC-130. But, you need complete air superiority.
And even then its risky as hell, thanks to the proliferation of cheap effective manpads.

CAS is now a job for high altitude long loiter drones like the reaper and avenger.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am CAS is now a job for high altitude long loiter drones like the reaper and avenger.
Or BUFFs
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Exactly, all airspace is now contested, because an illerate peasant with a SA-24 has become the norm rather than the exception. So its GBU-39s for everybody.

Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

As old as so many of the Air Force's aircraft are, I'm thinking they should just bring some B-47s out of the boneyard and put them to work as ground support aircraft. After all, it's been a long time since they built a new A-10, and they need something on the books to replace it with, since the Air Force leadership yet again wants to get rid of the A-10s with nothing new planned to replace them with.
randy

Post by randy »

Better to pull BUFFs out of the boneyard, newer airframes than the 47's, and no aircrew or maintenance personnel have trained on or worked with that airframe for 50 years.

If all you want are high altitude (out of range of MAPADs) JDAM arsenel ships, pull even newer 747s out of the airline boneyards and fit them with rotary launchers and appropriate control electronics.