Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Cobar

Re: Take This Job And Shove It...

Post by Cobar »

Congratulations
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I did that last year. The choice was early retirement (I was 63 at the time) or an extended jail sentence for multiple crimes of violence. Wouldn't change a thing. Congratulations!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm looking forward to retirement and I'm only 54.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Well done sir.

So this means you are available to take the midwatch on SS Guncounter then?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:51 amSo this means you are available to take the midwatch on SS Guncounter then?
Episode 3,256 in the continuing stooooory, "You Can Get What You Want and Still Not Be Very Happy." :lol:
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Congratulations! I still have four and a half years to go, but I'm already drooling over the free time. "But you're going to be bored!" Really? There are thousands of books, movies, and a myriad musical performances I haven't experienced. I have hobbies. I love to travel. I'm still just short of being able to shoot the balls off a mosquito at 100 yards. There will be NO shortage of things to keep me amused and/or occupied.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
randy

Post by randy »

I've been on disability for 5 months now. Still waiting for the boredom I was warned about, even given the financial restriction placed on me by the amount of disability pay I receive. (not bitching, enough to keep the household going combined with CINCHOUSE's pay, but not enough for optional extras such as hobbies or traveling etc.)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Came close twice in the past year to having my (now) 28+ year gig come to a close.
First was a RIF that I was spared inspite of some folks desire to see me go.
Then a division sell off that fell through and I was nearly caught up in -- and would have almost certainly been toast as part of the ensuing "right sizing" by the buyer.

59 this summer, a little early to quit I reckon but I would have had 66-67 weeks of pay as separation package. Probably would have been able to adjust the burn rate and how my funds are invested and call it a retirement. More likely would have picked up another (lower paying) gig in my field for a few years though -- maybe customer facing instead of supplier facing for a change though.

Now the company is back cooking on gas so we'll see how it goes from here for a bit. My dept is being not so gradually cut back and replaced by new company hires in Bangalore. /shrug/ Welcome to the jungle baby.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story