custom AR upper in 6mm FATRAT

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

custom AR upper in 6mm FATRAT

Post by Precision »

I ordered a custom 24" side charging AR upper from Lee Wells at Accurate and Reliable Rifles. I had originally attempted to buy a similar product from Robert Whitley. He mades the 6mm AR turbo improved. By all accounts they are basically the same chambering.

The Whitley family took a month to get back to my repeated requests for further information. Eventually, I spend about 30 minutes on the phone with Robert's son. Very nice guy and quite knowledgeable, but after that phone call I was not able to get them to contact me again to place an order.

Needless to say, I went with the guy who returned my calls and took my money.
The complete upper is not here yet. It should be here in about 10 days. I will be posting up a range report and how fiddly it is to reload for it.

Why are so many people in business unwilling to take money and provide the product? It happens in lots of areas, but especially in the gun industry.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Re: custom AR upper in 6mm FATRAT

Post by randy »

Perhaps large amounts of vaporware they don't want to admit to? Over-promising their ability to produce and ship product?

Running a business and producing a product are often perfect examples of Williamson’s First Law: “Everything is simple when you don’t know a f***ing thing about it.” A lot of folks with a "great idea for a business" dive in without having a clue what they are getting into.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm Why are so many people in business unwilling to take money and provide the product? It happens in lots of areas, but especially in the gun industry.
Having done new product development for the last 20 years or so (not guns) - it is very easy to find oneself in a do loop on some design or production issues that screws all of the timing. If you are a big enough company there are ways to brute force your way through, but If you are smaller or dependent on suppliers, who knows.

If course sales and marketing are pushing for the earliest date (that is their job) so it is easy to find yourself with commitments but no products If you are not very careful.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm Why are so many people in business unwilling to take money and provide the product? It happens in lots of areas, but especially in the gun industry.
At least they were not willing to take your money and unable to provide the product.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:20 am
At least they were not willing to take your money and unable to provide the product.
There is that. Been there done that...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

What exactly does this cartridge do, that 6x45 doesn't?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 pm What exactly does this cartridge do, that 6x45 doesn't?
It has a cool name.

I have made up a wonderful cartridge name, and I'm willing to sell it to anyone who will design a cartridge around it

Paging Donald Knuth.
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 pm What exactly does this cartridge do, that 6x45 doesn't?
It uses a blown out 6.5 grendel case so there is more powder. It will send 105gr bullets down range at over 2800 fps. VS the 2400 fps of the 6x45. In a quality set up it tends to be really accurate and moderately easy on brass due to shoulder dimension.

From what I can tell it is the most powerful AR-15 cartridge in terms of long range performance that doesn't require severe shenanigans, single loading...and I get to write an article or three about it, load development... so I get an oddball wildcat at a net very low price. Oh and it should make me smile. Very important
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:27 am Image
Not sure if making fun of Precision or of hipster.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.