SHOT Show Thoughts

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Mike OTDP

SHOT Show Thoughts

Post by Mike OTDP »

I'm reading the coverage of the SHOT Show, and frankly, I'm gritting my teeth.

1. You aren't going to beat Glock with a clone-of-Glock. Gaston has too much of a head start. Damn it, try to come up with something new.
2. Slapping a cheese grater of a rail on the front of your pistol doesn't help. Unless you are a LEO in uniform, are you really going to use a weapon-mounted light on your CCW piece? All those rails do is add bulk and make the piece hang up on the draw.
3. Red dot sights are good. Mounting them on an adapter plate is not, it adds too much height. Mill the slide for a specific dot. Preferably a good one.
4. Whoever comes out with a dot as rugged as a Trijicon RMR but the size of a Shield RMS will own the market.
5. I'd still like to see a decent strong-side shoulder holster. IWB doesn't work for long-torsoed folks, particularly in a professional environment where an untucked shirt isn't appropriate. Mount the rig on a shoulder harness that pulls the whole affair up under your jacket, and you would have something.
evan price

Re: SHOT Show Thoughts

Post by evan price »

Oh boy, more polymer 9mm semi autos. Just what we need...
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Precision

Post by Precision »

I went last year. Did not go this year although I could have.

between the Shotshow crud
Hotels forbidding CCW and X-raying bags the bell hop carries in
The shitty nature of Vegas in general
Tactical haircuts, with tactical beards on 28 year old betas... oh my
That I can do the NRA show with way less issues -- except hating on the NRA fuddiness
The lack luster effect of new products - with a few exceptions
... ...Seismic Ammo being one of the exceptions. I may be biased as I know the developer. 185 gr 9mm, 325 gr 45 ACP yeah, you have my attention

Daniel Defense bolt gun...meh
most everything else...meh

Glad I saved the coin and wear on my feet
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:12 am Oh boy, more polymer 9mm semi autos. Just what we need...
^^Pretty much this^^

Frankly, the only company that seems to be putting out something interesting, year over year lately, is Ruger of all people.. :shock:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

We seemed to have hit a bit of a slowdown in innovation in the firearms market. 10 to 15 years ago with the war in Iraq in full swing companies were pumping out coll, if sometimes rather silly, stuff left and right. Dragonscale armor, a rail system with an integrated battery to power all your accessories, AR alternatives, better red dot sights, and new rail systems like Keymod were all the rage. Over the last 5 years though it seems that people, the military, and police forces have figured out what works and what doesn't.

They only real new thing I'm seeing goes back to Mike's point #2. Weapon lights are now finally at the point where you can have something both powerful enough to be useful while being small enough to actually conceal. In addition to this there are now multi gun concealment holsters that now index themselves off of the light. No matter the gun, if you have the right light for the holster, it will hold the light/gun combo.