14.5" AR upper

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

14.5" AR upper

Post by Precision »

Looking for a complete upper preferably.

In TN we have a stupid law that rifles cannot be kept in a vehicle while loaded. Loaded is not defined in that statute but in others it alternatively means chambered (condition 1), not chambered but loaded mag inserted or unchambered with no loaded mag inserted (condition 4). To be completely safe, I would need to vehicle carry in CONDITION 4. Not happening.

This means when the law is dumb, avoid it. That means taking one of my stripped lowers and building a 14.5" barrelled pistol with a Gear Head Works Mod 2 brace and using it in place of the 18" barreled rifle I want to have in there.

Qualifications
must be in stock or commonly so
must not be expensive -- see truck gun built only to meet stupid law
must not be a generic from Bob's basement AR builder and meth lab -- no Century products for sure. ;)
5.56 - preferably 223 wylde but certainly not mandatory.
not a clamshell - Pic rails, M-Lok... whatever is fine

I realize I can build one, but I would prefer not to although if no decent options at a decent price exist, I just might have to.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Re: 14.5" AR upper

Post by Precision »

My googlefu was sucking earlier. Now I found this which is the price of most barrels at less than $160 including shipping.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/radical-fi ... -rail.html

Anyone have any experience with them, their QC...?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
randy

Post by randy »

Precision wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:33 pm ... unchambered with no loaded mag inserted (condition 4). To be completely safe, I would need to vehicle carry in CONDITION 4. Not happening.
Could be worse. Until a couple of years ago Ohio law counted a loaded rifle magazine as a loaded rifle, no matter where in the vehicle (including a separate locked case). :roll:

We got rid of that a couple of years ago, but if I had the money to burn was looking at using a stock SKS with stripper clips as a truck gun. If I had won the lottery then a "tanker" Garand in .308 and a composite stock, since under the law using en-bloc clips did not count (despite the fact that I can load a Garand about as fast as I can an AR, just have to do it more often. Shhhhhh! ;) )
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Not sure why you want such a long barrel for a truck gun when you don't need to meet a minimum legal length. You may need to leave your vehicle and continue on foot, but not necessarily open carry your rifle. An upper with a barrel length more appropriate to a pistol can more easily be stowed in a bag, especially if you put a LAW folder on it. Aero Precision usually has complete uppers in stock in a variety of barrel lengths and options, and they stand behind their products.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:57 am Not sure why you want such a long barrel for a truck gun when you don't need to meet a minimum legal length. You may need to leave your vehicle and continue on foot, but not necessarily open carry your rifle. An upper with a barrel length more appropriate to a pistol can more easily be stowed in a bag, especially if you put a LAW folder on it. Aero Precision usually has complete uppers in stock in a variety of barrel lengths and options, and they stand behind their products.
I am wanting to use 5.56 because I have a shit ton of rounds suitable for social work. The minimum velocity for mushrooming is 18-1900 fps. Cutting the barrel down much more than 14.5" drops velocity horribly. My 77 gr Berger hand loads are 2700fps out of a 24", about 2500 from an 18" and would likely be 2250 out of a 14.5". Dropping to a 10" or less would take me below 2000 fps.

I do realize I could go with 300 BLO or 458 Socom or any number of other calibers and I may end up there, but 5.56 was what I wanted.

I also want a longer sight radius for shots past 50 yards if the red dot dies, much lower consideration.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm I am wanting to use 5.56 because I have a shit ton of rounds suitable for social work. The minimum velocity for mushrooming is 18-1900 fps. Cutting the barrel down much more than 14.5" drops velocity horribly. My 77 gr Berger hand loads are 2700fps out of a 24", about 2500 from an 18" and would likely be 2250 out of a 14.5". Dropping to a 10" or less would take me below 2000 fps.

I do realize I could go with 300 BLO or 458 Socom or any number of other calibers and I may end up there, but 5.56 was what I wanted.
I figured as much, but consider that for a truck gun that is going to sit in your truck and probably not get shot much, the fact that you have a shit ton of 5.56 isn't super important. If you go with something like blackout that is optimized for shorter barrels, find something that it likes (probably Barnes black tip), buy enough to fill the magazines you will keep with it, and call it good. Train with your 5.56 guns. The job of a truck gun is just to get you home in one piece; if it does that it has served its purpose and you can switch to your primary rifle.
I also want a longer sight radius for shots past 50 yards if the red dot dies, much lower consideration.
Buy an Aimpoint and you pretty much eliminate that concern.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

I was just going to ask your suggestion, but you beat me to it. I may end up with 300 BLO. With supersonics, drop isn't too bad out to 125 and that isn't even close to a reasonable shot range for the purpose of this gun. I would assume 100 yds is tough to defend unless it is a 2 way range.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

1. I am not a lawyer
2. I don't think you are a lawyer, either
3. The cop who pulls you over isn't a lawyer

However, if the cop is an a##hole, he will take whatever kit you have in your truck and let you hire a lawyer to argue your case to get it back because your interpretation of the law is different from his. Talk to the judge.

After you talk to a couple of lawyers, you will quickly figure out that whatever lawyer you use, the cost of legal fees exceeds your $1,000 custom truck rifle, so you will drop the case.

I don't have anything in my truck that I will cry about if some criminal, whether that criminal is carrying a badge or homeless, removes it from my truck.

I used to have an old K98, but those got valuable, so now I have a "Lupara", an old POS side-by-side shotgun with 21" barrel broken down in a gym bag. When the gun is in 3 pieces (barrel, action and fore-end), it's pretty hard for PO-PO to argue that it is loaded. Even if he does, I've lost a $10 gym bag, $100 shotgun and $50 in ammo.

Close in, I have buckshot. For longer range, I have slugs. Not as good as a rifle, but cheap insurance.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4Gqvd7T1s

Also, if your truck is anywhere near a late model, Tuffy or one of the other makers of vehicle security boxes probably sells a way to secure it while keeping it still relatively hidden. Replace the standard keyed tumbler with one of the combo units they sell and a badged thief isn’t getting into it in the event of a traffic stop either.

Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4Gqvd7T1s

Also, if your truck is anywhere near a late model, Tuffy or one of the other makers of vehicle security boxes probably sells a way to secure it while keeping it still relatively hidden. Replace the standard keyed tumbler with one of the combo units they sell and a badged thief isn’t getting into it in the event of a traffic stop either.
I hear your point. But if they get into it at a traffic stop,they have violated a Bill of Right by searching. That dramatically ups the pay out.

My current camo technique is to use a black terrycloth towel that pretty much matches the texture and color of the floor covering as a cover cloth. It is slightly tucked so the gun cannot become visible. The econo car has a purpose built rifle hidey place. Well I am sure they didn't do it that way on purpose, but it sure works damn well for it.

I may look into the locked box method, but after I get a new to me truck. That will hopefully be happening in the next month or two.