China toehold on Moon

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Netpackrat

China toehold on Moon

Post by Netpackrat »

Looks like they are taking the first steps toward being able to build a permanent presence on the ultimate high ground.

https://www.livescience.com/64413-china ... imals.html
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Gunnuts

Re: China toehold on Moon

Post by Gunnuts »

The libs made lots of fun of Trump signing Space Policy Directive-3.

I'm sure this is just a coincidence.

Growing up with Apollo, this chaps my ass on many levels. :x
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Also note that they are setting up on the far side, where we can't just whack them with an Earth based or Earth orbiting laser. We will have to re-develop the capability to go get them.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yep, nothing to see here folks. Move along.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

The US definitely needs to re-develop some capabilities. Congress has been far too short-sighted for far too long. We're talking about the future of the human species here. As far as China, a Farside base is not ideal for attacking Earthly targets, although it does have the advantage of having a very large shield between it and any potential Earth-based attacks. Orbiting platforms would be cheaper and faster to put in place, and would have direct targeting and shorter flight times too. A better choice for them or us, IMO. Also, a 3-kg experiment isn't exactly a major, imminent threat. It's a place to start building basic capability, though, and more than we have at the moment. Elon Musk isn't just some starry-eyed dreamer, and he's actively working to make humans a multi-planet species, which is more than most governments can say. I personally would like to see space stations in Earth orbit, at Lagrange points, and on the Lunar and Martian surfaces. More is definitely better. But that's going to take a few years... While Lunar regolith is useful as raw materials, I would like to see us develop asteroid/comet mining capability as well. There is water on the Moon, sure, but there are whole moons of water ice just about everywhere farther out from us. Sure, Europa and Enceladus have liquid water, and potential life, and should probably be studied and preserved rather than "strip-mined," but there are LOTS of sources of water out there, far more than there is in the bottoms of shadowed craters on the Moon or Mercury, and asteroids contain a greater variety of materials than can be found on Luna. I remember reading a story about an MIT project that could have sent a mass-driver probe to the asteroid belt, and brought a nickel-iron asteroid back to Earth orbit. They even had the target picked out, and it could have allowed us to stop mining for iron for about 200 years. That's just ONE body of thousands. The only resource problem out there is location, not scarcity. I guess I was born 100 years too soon, I'm almost 62 years old and will be long dead before we are established throughout the Solar System. I hope our descendants make it out there. Hell, I hope we last long enough as a species to HAVE descendants. So far, I'm not super optimistic.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

While not a major, imminent threat, what China is doing is taking the first steps towards not only being able to go there, but to stay.

Odahi

Post by Odahi »

I'm not arguing, we all know the Chinese play a long game. It's very smart, smarter than we have been. I'm not sure how frightened I am of their base, but their ultimate objectives do worry me. Ah, never mind me, I'm rambling.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

We'll see how it works out for them. After all, the moon is a harsh mistress.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Odahi wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:47 amI remember reading a story about an MIT project that could have sent a mass-driver probe to the asteroid belt, and brought a nickel-iron asteroid back to Earth orbit. They even had the target picked out, and it could have allowed us to stop mining for iron for about 200 years.
Look no further for why that project was never going to happen.

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:45 pm We'll see how it works out for them. After all, the moon is a harsh mistress.
That is exactly why the Chicoms are going there, the kinky SOBs.