Alaska Earthquake

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Netpackrat

Alaska Earthquake

Post by Netpackrat »

AlaskaTRX and I, and our families are OK. Houses seem intact so far, he has power, I do not. By feel that was the biggest one I have been through. Dewalt cordless vacuum for the win...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rod

Re: Alaska Earthquake

Post by Rod »

Be safe. Reports here are a magnitude 7 quake with epicenter 7 miles for Anchorage. Tsunami warnings for Cook Inlet.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Glad you're all OK
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah I am pretty close to the epicenter but I am probably on the best piece of ground in Anchorage, geologically speaking. I'm only about 500 yards north of my old house, which survived the '64 quake. AlaskaTRX not so much, but he's also farther away at the other end of town. The shed I built last year is also still standing; I had to put half of it on pilings due to the severe slope of my back yard, so that makes me happy. I was really amazed at the amount of stuff that DID NOT get knocked over out in my shop. Thanks for the well-wishes.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Glad to hear everything is OK.

My boss just called to tell us about it because he knows I and another guy used to live in AK. The other guy is from Anchorage. My first thought was about you guys.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

More little aftershocks just now.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'm glad you guys are safe. Keep it that way, okay?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My secretary's son moved up there about a month ago. All of the windows in his apartment broke out. It's going to be a cold night for a lot of people tonight.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Glad to hear things are going as OK as can be expected.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Post by g-man »

Wife's family all checked in as ok, but her Uncle and her brother's mom (dad's 2nd wife) were both headed back to their respective houses to check status. Aunt was actually IN surgery when it occurred, thankfully it was minor foot surgery unlike grandma's hip replacement from a couple weeks back (glad THAT's out of the way!).
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum