Missinary killed by North Sentinilese

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Greg

Re: Missinary killed by North Sentinilese

Post by Greg »

I have to admit I'm not a big Thoreau fan, but a quote of his strikes a nerve with me.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life
-Thoreau

My main interest in those folks would be DNA samples. I can respect 'leave me alone' as a life motto.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

A chance to murder someone and shoot OOGA BOOGA and I missed it.

:-(

I think this guy had eternal rewards on his mind, and wanted to take the Good News to the wogs. Sometimes the wogs ain't receptive, though.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'm surprised no one ever thought to do a full-scale pacification campaign of the island if only to give their troops something exciting to do.

"Wait, I just tried this in Civ4..."
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Some people just want to be left alone. I can respect that.

But just imagine the reaction if this guy was from the "Religion of Peace."
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

We should hire the Sentinel Islanders for US Border Patrol.

Much cheaper than a $5 billion border wall with Mexico.

Even better, they bring their own tools. No need to spend money on tear gas.

That would end migrant caravans quick!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Landmines are ultimately cheaper and more reliable.

One theory ive heard about his motivations was that he belonged to one of the wierder sects of Christianity, that beleived that the apocalypse will start after the
Ast man on earth has heard about the word of G*d, and considering that the North Sentinelise are basically the last uncontacted aboriginal group known...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 pm I suspect he knew full well the risk to his personal safety and life But, I also suspect he valued their eternal safety above his life.

Jesus at the last supper on his way to the cross,
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Gospel of John 15 vs 13
Yep, but he probably should have picked more fertile ground
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

"Yep, but he probably should have picked more fertile ground"
Yeah well maybe. Someone should have told that to Pete Fleming, Roger Yudarian(sp?), Nate Saint, Ed McCully and Nate Saint.

Good thing Rachel Saint and Elizabeth Elliot didn't get the hint on the first go round.

"Unless a seed fall into the ground it cannot bear much fruit."
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:22 pm
Yeah well maybe. Someone should have told that to Pete Fleming, Roger Yudarian(sp?), Nate Saint, Ed McCully and Nate Saint.

Good thing Rachel Saint and Elizabeth Elliot didn't get the hint on the first go round.
I am not sure why that is considered so.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:22 pm

"Unless a seed fall into the ground it cannot bear much fruit."
Yeah, but sometimes we are supposed to kick the dust off of our sandals and move on.