Midterm Elections 2018

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Langenator

Re: Midterm Elections 2018

Post by Langenator »

Why not? It gives him a useful foil for the next 2 years.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Jered

Post by Jered »

It looks like the Dems are up to their usual dirty tricks in AZ and FL.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
g-man

Post by g-man »

McSally was not the best candidate, but she's waaaaay better than Sinema. But even considering that, I cannot understand how (barring the obvious thing we're all thinking) the governor's race has a 16-point gap, and the exact same population of voters has the Senate race in a dead heat. It makes zero effing sense.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

g-man wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:19 am McSally was not the best candidate, but she's waaaaay better than Sinema. But even considering that, I cannot understand how (barring the obvious thing we're all thinking) the governor's race has a 16-point gap, and the exact same population of voters has the Senate race in a dead heat. It makes zero effing sense.
Is it stupid Californians leaving their state and bring their "values" with them... forgetting the reasons they left the state in the first place?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
g-man

Post by g-man »

Could be, but you'd expect the governor's race to be somewhat closer if that were the case. It's not even like it could be explained by gender, since all of the Senate candidates are female. The result distribution in FL at least makes sense, and the differential between Gov and Sen passes the sniff test. Close races, both where 'found' ballots could swing the election.

I know incumbency gains the incumbent an advantage. This has been shown over time to amount to ~8%, at least if I'm reading the studies on the subject correctly. Nelson is the incumbent in FL, but Scott is the current Governor, which negates part of Nelson's advantage, since he's already an elected official with name recognition. Both Sinema and McSally are sitting congresscritters, so no advantages there. And we know Ducey is the incumbent, so we should expect a 6 to 10 point advantage if the state is close overall... but 16 points? WT actual F?
Rod

Post by Rod »

There's investigations ongoing in both Florida and Arizona from what I'm reading. The hijinx in Florida is amazing. A teacher found a box of ballots in a storeroom, another (or maybe the teacher) has been fired for reporting finding boxes of ballots. It's rather amazing also is that every one of the "found" ballots are Democrat voters. By the way, Dade and Broward Counties both broke state election laws by not turning in counts on time. I'm of the opinion that any ballot found after the count turn in date should be invalidated.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

I remember Pelosi talking a lot about how she would impeach Trump if she got back the gavel. Has anyone ever told her that the House can't impeach a President?
g-man

Post by g-man »

Johnnyreb wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:53 am I remember Pelosi talking a lot about how she would impeach Trump if she got back the gavel. Has anyone ever told her that the House can't impeach a President?
She absolutely can.
“Article 1 Section 2 Clause 5” wrote: The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.
“Article 1 Section 3 Clause 6” wrote: The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments...
The House is the only part of congress that can impeach anyone. The problem for Speaker Pelosi (assuming she gets the job back) is that the Republican controlled Senate would hold the trial.
randy

Post by randy »

What the House cannot do is remove a President from office. As g-man said, that requires a trial in the Senate. Which is why Bill Clinton was impeached and still finished out his term in office.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Rod wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:20 am There's investigations ongoing in both Florida and Arizona from what I'm reading. The hijinx in Florida is amazing. A teacher found a box of ballots in a storeroom, another (or maybe the teacher) has been fired for reporting finding boxes of ballots. It's rather amazing also is that every one of the "found" ballots are Democrat voters. By the way, Dade and Broward Counties both broke state election laws by not turning in counts on time. I'm of the opinion that any ballot found after the count turn in date should be invalidated.
They're apparently trying it in Georgia, too.

We make a lot of justifiable fun of the Lao Donk Party, but I tell you whut, Boomhauer...whomever they've got in charge of pre-positioning Buick Ballotmasters in SEIU parking lots has logistics skills worthy of POMCUS/REFORGER.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!