Straw purchaser for cop killer gets 5 years

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
evan price

Straw purchaser for cop killer gets 5 years

Post by evan price »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/years-f ... n7DRDjxiK/

Guy knew his friend was prohibited but bought him a Glock anyway.
Prohibited person has a domestic and shoots and kills two responding Westerville PD officers with the Glock.

Straw purchaser sentenced to five years. Cop killer trial still pending.

Defense attorney wanted 6 months house arrest 3 years probation. Umm no.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
AlaskaTRX

Re: Straw purchaser for cop killer gets 5 years

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Is this the first documented (justification) legitimate use of that law? How many years on the books and the first time it has done what it is supposed to. Lest not forget that murder is still illegal...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

So is being an accessory to murder. I think the only point to prosecuting for this is they could do it now, as opposed to waiting for a guilty verdict in the murder trial before charging him as an accessory.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Hmmm, do you actually need to have someone convicted of murder in order to convict someone as an accessory?

I mean, you could have a situation where you can prove that there was murder (dead body not natural causes/accident/suicide etc) where you can't prove who exactly "pulled the trigger" (say you had multiple suspects) but you can prove that the accessory procured and provided the murder implement even if you can't prove who used it. Example is someone who knowingly provides stuff to an outlaw biker gang, but can't narrow down to one gang member.

Or is that too Agatha Christie?

I'm not arguing that it wasn't faster and maybe easier to convict on the straw man purchase.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

I'm still waiting for the ATF to arrest Karen Mallard.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.