Do real police/military say "copy that"?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Do real police/military say "copy that"?

Post by Weetabix »

In TV and movies, police, military, and other operatives seem to say "copy that" continually.

I know we have several members here currently or formerly in law enforcement or military service (thanks!). Do people who are the real deal actually say "copy that" to acknowledge that they've heard something?

Seems like in older shows, it was "affirmative."
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Re: Do real police/military say "copy that"?

Post by randy »

I've heard it used in Fire/LE communications, but not extensively.

Most often I hear "clear" in the Fire Service meaning "I heard and understand your last transmission". (Drives my Ham radio side nuts as to me it means "I am leaving the frequency" either to another one or turning off the radio entirely. I tend to use "understood" or "acknowledged" instead). It might also be a regional thing. I know TV tends to use NYPD/LAPD terminology a lot no matter where the show is set.

When I was active duty, "roger" and "roger that" were used most often in this context, but that might have been an AF thing.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Post by g-man »

randy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:22 pm When I was active duty, "roger" and "roger that" were used most often in this context, but that might have been an AF thing.
Roger is the acknowledgement term I'm most familiar with.

Unless they've got really, really good advisors (who they actually listen to, nearly everything on TV or in the movies is terrible regarding any sort of protocol or procedures. The intersection of medical and police is habitually abysmal. Most of the stupidity can be ignored, as long as it's not specifically driving the plot.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'd say 90% of the time we'd say roger, with a exceptions generally made for specific situations or acknowledging a lengthier transmission. "Proceed on axis of advance and engage," would just got a roger (along with station ID). Whereas a detailed modification to the op or movement plan went get a repeat back of key points followed with, 'Understood (or Roger), will comply.' This is were Roger Wilco comes from, btw.

In some settings verbatim repeat backs are also used and of course the Navy frequently use, 'Aye,' for understand and 'Aye, aye," for understand, will comply.

TL;DR It's situational, but yes, 'Roger,' is common comms parlance.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Damnit, double posted. Just not my day for computer related taskings
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
randy

Post by randy »

Aaron wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 pm Damnit, double posted.
No you didn't ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Aaron wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:10 pm I'd say 90% of the time we'd say roger, with a exceptions generally made for specific situations or acknowledging a lengthier transmission. "Proceed on axis of advance and engage," would just got a roger (along with station ID). Whereas a detailed modification to the op or movement plan went get a repeat back of key points followed with, 'Understood (or Roger), will comply.' This is were Roger Wilco comes from, btw.
Roger = "I understand."
Wilco = "I understand and will comply."

Because the meaning of Wilco includes the meaning of Roger, they should not be used together. On any Army radio net I ever used, saying "Roger Wilco" would get you chewed out, made fun of, or both.

The term Copy was generally used if you were repeating back something that needed to be verbatim correct, such as grid coordinates. "Copy, Alfa Bravo 1-2-3-4-5-6, over"

In my (limited) experience with LE, the terms "10-4" and/or "Clear" are generally used. No Roger or Wilco.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
randy

Post by randy »

We use Copy in ham radio in a similar way such as "I Copy 3 Alpha Ohio".

An uncle of mine was an Army Red Leg in Germany in the 60's. He stated that, especially when working with Brit artillery, never use the word "repeat" when you want information repeated. They took that as "fire the same mission on the same coordinates again". He said they used the term "say again".

And thinking about it, I'm not sure that I've heard "copy that" over the air, only in face to face conversations. Maybe they are picking it up from TV?
Jered

Post by Jered »

Generally what I hear is 10-4.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

OTA comms at work generally require a full read back of the instructions issued.

That said, I think we have a lot of retired LE in our company because I get 10 codes back as replies to emails at least a couple of times per day. (10-4 being the most common).
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams