Another PC Reboot

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
skb12172

Another PC Reboot

Post by skb12172 »

This time, The Greatest American Hero. The first one was corny, but perfect for 9 year old me. I don't really care who the main character is, but everytime they reboot one of these things with a PC twist, it sucks. The one exception I can think of is BSG, which is still secondary to the original in my opinion, but was a damn fine series, regardless. I'm sure I'll watch the pilot for this one, but I'm not hopeful.
https://deadline.com/2018/01/the-greate ... 202269582/
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Johnnyreb

Re: Another PC Reboot

Post by Johnnyreb »

I think the Hawaii 5-O reboot was pretty good. This past weekend, I learned that there is a new Magnum P.I. Higgens is now a hot british spy babe. And Magnum is an average height ordinary guy and a Navy SEAL.

Not sure I'll like it, but hey, Maybe Magnum and McGarret can team up. Two SEALs on the same island how can they not know each other?
randy

Post by randy »

The thing that pisses me off about both shows (or at least on 5-0 and previews of Magnum) is they occasionally show up in the dress uniforms of their old service.

"Hey pretty boy. You make so much about respecting the military, how about catching a freaking shave when you're posing as a something real instead of your usual gig as a dancing monkey!"

Yes I know it's TV. So Fracking what?

/rant off
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I never cared about the greatest american hero, it just never connected for me.

For the inevitable hack job they will do on Magnum:PI, i hope they die in a fire. :evil:

At least there hasnt been a serious attempt to reboot The Six Million Dollar Man...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

HTRN wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:55 am I never cared about the greatest american hero, it just never connected for me.

For the inevitable hack job they will do on Magnum:PI, i hope they die in a fire. :evil:

At least there hasnt been a serious attempt to reboot The Six Million Dollar Man...
You mean the proposed show where the shemale conversion surgeries cost a total of $6,000,000?
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

Having had time to think about it, now I am very down on the new Magnum P.I. It was a man show. It was about men, veteran soldiers, doing man stuff, being men among men, having each other's back, etc. And now just like damned near everything else, they have to stick a woman into that. I don't care how hot she is or how cool she looks. They replaced Sergeant Major Higgens with a girl.

Now about people not shaving.... a couple of nights ago I came across the pilot of Space Above and Beyond on youtube. I used to like that show a lot, and now not so much. Largely because almost none of the "Marines" in it have a decent haircut. One guy, the tank guy, has long shaggy hair, which he had all through training and through the whole show. How does anyone become a trained Marine, much less an officer, which all these pilots were, without a regulation haircut?

When they graduate and R. Lee Ermy, their DI, salutes them, and then salutes them again as they fly off to battle, he does it with a swagger stick, touching it to the brim of his hat. When I watched that I thought, that was a pretty lousy salute from a guy who was a real gunny. But then I realized, that since he was saluting a bunch of actors who would not even get a decent haircut to at least slightly look right for the part, that half assed swagger stick salute was the best the producers who had just butchered his beloved Marine Corps were going to get out of Ermy.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

That ain't new...I still remember "Marines" with disco feather haircuts in Black Sheep Squadron.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
g-man

Post by g-man »

Watched about 5 minutes because it was on when we turned on the TV to watch something else. Wow. Terrible writing, terrible acting, pretty much everything sucked.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Not surprised.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.