Another Florida Shooting

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Another Florida Shooting

Post by Netpackrat »

Remember all of the butt-hurt on the part of video gamers at being blamed for mass shootings?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ament.html
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
scipioafricanus

Re: Another Florida Shooting

Post by scipioafricanus »

Playing Madden... not sure if they can use the violent video game narrative.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

And the shooter is from MD...which has pretty strict gun control.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

scipioafricanus wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:50 am Playing Madden... not sure if they can use the violent video game narrative.
Football isn’t violent?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:19 am
scipioafricanus wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:50 am Playing Madden... not sure if they can use the violent video game narrative.
Football isn’t violent?
Not when the NFL keeps screwing with it.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Two people killed, plus the shooter, eleven hurt. Uncertain, but non-zero number of injuries being due to the stampede to get out. Location was a bar, which means a no carry zone.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
randy

Post by randy »

We were speculating around here that he went to Florida to do this as if he had killed the same number in Baltimore it probably wouldn't have made the paper, let alone National News
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

randy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:46 pm We were speculating around here that he went to Florida to do this as if he had killed the same number in Baltimore it probably wouldn't have made the paper, let alone National News
*looks at the race of the shooter*

Actually, if he would have shot the same number in Baltimore, I bet it would have made the news, if for no other reason than to fuel a narrative about how black people are victims of white people.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
toad

Post by toad »

Well now it seems the shooter had a history of mental illness . It seems the lesson that crazy people can be dangerous just doesn't sink in.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Saw an interview with him after a previous gaming tournament. Dude was unhinged, and definitely had delusions of grandeur. “I don’t really see myself as a 7-seed [which he was in that tourney], because I’m one of the best players in the world...”. It was not just what he said, but how he said it. This wasn’t “toxic masculinity, mysoginy and an exhibition of white privilege and the patriarchy...”. It was a whiny bitch two-year-old throwing a tantrum because it was never stressed to him in no uncertain terms while growing up that such behavior is unacceptable.

Crying because you lost a game where you tried your hardest and it wasn’t good enough? Okay. Losing hurts sometimes. But screaming and throwing shit because you didn’t get your way isn’t okay. Ever.

If I can’t get this across to my 2 and 4 y/o’s... I need to just shoot myself. Win with grace, lose with same.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum