Electronic shooting muffs

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
randy

Electronic shooting muffs

Post by randy »

Looking at picking up some new electronic shooting muffs. I have plenty of non electronic pairs, but do like the electronic ones when taking a class or giving instruction on the range.

My 10 year old or so Peltor Tactical 6 has an inoperable audio pickup on one side. I've read some comments that this is not an uncommon issue.

So, do I try a new pair of Peltors? I've read that there's been corporate mucking about and the current quality isn't as good as when I bought mine, but that seems to come up whenever there is a transfer of ownership, so don't know how to judge the reliability of those statements.

Also changing batteries on them is a bit of a pain

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009363P/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Looking around, the Howard Leight Impact Pro units look like they have good reviews, and I like the 30NRR rating.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BGSI5U/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Better price, but that much of difference always makes me take a second look.

Anyone have any input?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Re: Electronic shooting muffs

Post by Weetabix »

I have some Howard Leights, but they're thinner. I like them a lot. Battery changes are simple, and they only take 2. If I want more noise reduction, I put foam plugs in and turn the volume all the way up.

I also have some of Walker Razor Behind The Neck Hearing Protection Ear Buds. I like them a lot, too, but they're not as good indoors as the Howard Leights. You have to make sure you seat them really well, and there's a setting for indoors. I haven't tried the BlueTooth thing with a phone because I just don't care. Big benefit is they don't interfere at all when shooting a rifle. I'll be ordering some replacement foam soon. The old style that I have is rubber, and I think the foam will seat better.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I have a pair of the Walker Razor lower profile muffs; they're fine for outdoors but the 23NRR is marginal for indoor, especially shooting rifles, and for me plugs inside electronic muffs kind of defeats the purpose. But they're working fine.

I bought a set of 26NRR Pro-Ears Predator Gold that are contoured. They take 'N' batteries, which is a pain, but they work better with a rifle (just dry fire testing so far) and the sound quality is better than the Walkers but I haven't had them to the range yet. More expensive than the Walkers

I asked a couple of more regular shooters (one is a police officer who shoots in matches, and my nephew who did 6 years in the Army), and both said to look at MSA Sordin, but not sure which models. They apparently have the most pronounced contouring for rifle use
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I, too, am still using an ancient pair of Peltors, but MSA Sordins seem to be pretty well thought of.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rich Jordan wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:35 am... for me plugs inside electronic muffs kind of defeats the purpose.
A bush pilot told me about doing that. I've only used it when I'm indoors and someone's shooting something really loud nearby. With the foam and the electronics full up, I can still more or less talk to someone without going deaf when the loud fella near me shoots. Not ideal, but workable.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I think Howard Leights have the budget end of the market pretty much sewn up.

I have yet to see a pair of electronic muffs outperform my 20 year old pair of Silencio Magnums, and frankly having been around braked beanfield rifles with them, even they could stand to be a little higher on the nrr scale...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

Yeah, budget is going to be major item here. I just didn't want to go with the Leights and find out they weren't up to snuff. If that were the case I'd just skip it altogether

As I said, I do have my original (80's, one pair bought specifically to keep in the gear bag for flight line use) Silencios still in service (for mowing the lawn running the snowblower as well as shooting).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
evan price

Post by evan price »

Can't even remember what brand name my emuffs are. Champion? Caldwell? They weren't really expensive ten years ago but they work, and if I need extra I just put a foam plug under them.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Billyjoe88

Post by Billyjoe88 »

randy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:26 am Looking at picking up some new electronic shooting muffs. I have plenty of non electronic pairs, but do like the electronic ones when taking a class or giving instruction on the range.

My 10 year old or so Peltor Tactical 6 has an inoperable audio pickup on one side. I've read some comments that this is not an uncommon issue.

So, do I try a new pair of Peltors? I've read that there's been corporate mucking about and the current quality isn't as good as when I bought mine, but that seems to come up whenever there is a transfer of ownership, so don't know how to judge the reliability of those statements.

Also changing batteries on them is a bit of a pain

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009363P/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Looking around, the Howard Leight Impact Pro units look like they have good reviews, and I like the 30NRR rating.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BGSI5U/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Better price, but that much of difference always makes me take a second look.

Spam Link removed
interesting
randy

Post by randy »

Nice try Billyjoe88

Bu-Bye