Winchester Model 70 .416 Rem Mag

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

Re: Winchester Model 70 .416 Rem Mag

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote:I think the concerns of higher pressure than .416 Rigby are from the bad-old-days of colonial Africa when you could still hunt in the tropical areas of Africa. I know old guys (in their 80s and 90s) who talk about hunting in Gabon, Camaroon and Congo in 1950s and 1960s. Those are real tropical climates.
Yup, yup. Operating pressure of a 416 rem mag is 65,000 psi, vs 47,000psi (approx) of the Rigby. I would still be concerned hunting anwhere where temps get above 90f.

Personally, id rather have a 458 lott than a 416 rem, as you can shoot win mag in a pinch, neither are suitable for loading down like the ouch and ouch, you can shoot heavier (600 grn) bullets, and for "plinking" theres the remignton 400 grn soft point.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

D5CAV
Please check your PM
Thank you
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

DavidB wrote:D5CAV
Please check your PM
Thank you
Checked. No messages
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

DavidB wrote:D5CAV
Please check your PM
Thank you
PMs are disabled, send an email.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Thanks Rumpshot- I sent an email.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I've been traveling so not able to check PMs.

Dury's guns in San Antonio has a Winchester Model 70 in .416 Remington for sale for $1200.

While it's listed as a used gun, It looks like it still has the factory sticker on the barrel, while mine has been to Africa, so it really is used.

https://www.durysguns.com/shop/winchest ... inv-205783

Also, I'm not willing to sell mine for $1200. That's less than I paid for it.

This is a good deal.

Good hunting!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BDK

Post by BDK »

Stock fit gets really important w. big bores. If you can find one to fit, I really like 458 Win, but a poor fitting stock is awful...

Are Ruger Safari Magnums still made? The stocks needed to be strengthened, but otherwise, they had a good reputation.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Regarding fit: I'm just a little bit bigger than average, so most guns fit me fine. If I need any adjustment, there is a lot that can be done with neoprene. Keeping the gun looking good can get expensive. I talked to a stock guy about a stock for my double rifle in .450 NE. Plain-Jane piece of good walnut to my specifications was about $4000. The stock on that $20,000 rifle now has neoprene.

Regarding Ruger M77 Safari: I had one in .458 Win Mag. It was OK. I like the Winchester better. Also like .416 Rem Mag better. Sold the Ruger and bought the Winchester M70 in .416 Rem Mag.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

One of the things on my "build eventually" list is crf win 70 in 458 Lott (i dont like the powder compression typically required with the win mag. Ive been keeping an eye out for a good deal for a "classic" stainless long action 70 for a donor rifle, but alas these always seem to go for good money.

And yes , stock fit, as well as shooting form become much more critical in guns who's recoil can really beat the tar out of you. If you want a 458 Winchester, i think a cz 550 is around 1100. Theres a 70 suoergrade on gunbroker right now for similar money, and a super express for 200 more. Stay away from the ruger #1, ive heard that the stock design for the magnums is less than ideal and is fairly punishing compared to good magnum bolt action stock.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:12 pm Plain-Jane piece of good walnut to my specifications was about $4000.
I can believe it. I just looked at dressels website, and a fairly uninspiring piece of claro with the right grain was 2 grand.

Unfortunately, more often than not, all that lovely super high figured walnut is usually going to cause a split under punishing recoil levels, usually at the wrist. Its why im liking the idea of 3 or five layer "laminate" using a core of something like ironwood, Ipe, or Osage Orange, as theyre ridiculously tough compared to walnut.