Harlan Ellison RIP

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
randy

Harlan Ellison RIP

Post by randy »

H/T Instapundit

He may have been an irritating asshole, but he was a talented and entertaining asshole.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Re: Harlan Ellison RIP

Post by Netpackrat »

Who?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Damn, he was still alive? Good for him.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
randy

Post by randy »

From an e-mail exchange I had with a group of friends, one of whom had now knowledge of Ellision's work beyond The City On The Edge of Tomorrow in Star Trek TOS:
Kind of off the top of my head:

The Glass Teat and The Other Glass Teat (His story about appearing on The Dating Game brought me to tears (of laughter) and was early introduction to me of the vapid cess pool that is TV production)

Dangerous Visions I and II (early purchases of mine through the Science Fiction Book Club, in hardback no less)

Contributions to Babylon 5

"'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman" (I think I still have a copy of a magazine with a graphic novel version of the story around here somewhere)

Episodes of The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone

A Boy and His Dog

I have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Memos From Purgatory

Not saying all were masterpieces or that you would like them, but these all bring back memories of my youth isolated in Iowa with maybe one or 2 other SF fans during the 70's. His stuff made an impact and I considered him an important (if not always enjoyable or likeable, or comprehensible) part of the SF world at the time. If nothing else his antics added spice, and what teen boy doesn't enjoy the spectacle of someone telling The Man where to get off, and getting away with it?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt he loose his shit over th movie prodution of a boy and his dog?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

He lost his shit over anything and everything. It was his schtick.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Made the mistake of loaning my pocket knife to him when he asked if anyone had one in the hallway at MadCon 2010. He promptly held it to the throat of the con chair. Thankfully, he calmed down without cutting the guy's throat.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

What a moron he was.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds