Mossberg 590M

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Mossberg 590M

Post by Netpackrat »

So I handled one of these today at a local shop, and it was a lot less awkward than I expected it to be given the extreme girth of the magazine. What makes it actually work, is the ambi push button mag release. If it had a paddle mag release like the Saiga, I think it would be a bit too much of a stretch (literally) to actuate the release with the same hand as you are grasping the mag with. But pushing the button with your firing hand as you remove the mag with your support hand, that works pretty well. It was also quite a bit easier to lock a mag into the mag well than it is with my S-12. The little nubs on the mag that match with the bottom of the receiver seem to help a lot in that regard, so that it's more difficult to get it wrong.

Keep in mind though that I have fairly large hands, and I was obviously doing that with an unloaded magazine, so your mileage may vary. I don't expect to be trading in my Saiga for one any time soon, but if I were in the market for another social shotgun, the 590M is probably what I would buy.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Re: Mossberg 590M

Post by Cobar »

If the 20 round mags are reliable I would seriously consider one. I kinda miss my old 590...
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

It seems like a nice firearm to use to repel boarders, and much cheaper than my .300 Blackout pistol built on a Fightlite pistol lower.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Michaelser

Mossberg 590M

Post by Michaelser »

I installed one on a Mossberg NFA-registered AOW.

In my opinion, much less perceived recoil than a pistol grip.

I love it.
Sport nutrition here: https://www.sportzfuel.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Installed one what?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I tried out a friend's today. He had two 10 round mags. Very well made. Better fit, finish and ruggedness than a SAIGA IMO, but those magazines were huge! It looked like you could drive over them and still have them function afterwards.

I can't imagine using a 20 round mag.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe