Watches - any nerds present?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Termite

Re: Watches - any nerds present?

Post by Termite »

I've been wearing a Casio G-Shock for............forever. Basic black. It's not jewelry.

If you want a watch that is both functional and jewelry, get a Tag Heuer or Rolex.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Jewelry? Rolex? Sure. Tag Heuer not a chance.

You want a real shock, go see what a Patek Phillipe 5270/1r costs.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Dinochrome One wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm Not much interest here except for knowing the time of day. So, I buy the best that Walmart has for less than ten dollars. For that I get a black-finished no-name watch with a quartz movement that tells accurate time, a twenty-four hour secondary dial, a brown leatherette strap with a black steel buckle, and at least two years of battery life. I don't wear any jewelry so I don't need a fancy watch; I long ago gave up trying to impress people with flashy stuff.
Pretty much me. Walmart, under $15. They are not carrying much under $10 anymore. I prefer analog, with a light. I cannot see the numbers at night, but analog position I can. I usually don't wear a watch unless we are out and about.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rumpshot wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pmI prefer analog, with a light. I cannot see the numbers at night, but analog position I can. I usually don't wear a watch unless we are out and about.
I have a Timex Easy Reader that I really like. I think it was $35. Analog on a white face with big numbers. And the Indiglo beats the hell out of any light or lume I've ever seen. I've never been not able to read that thing.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Can't help you with that. I stopped wearing a watch when I started carrying a cell phone. It's more accurate, self-setting, and easier for me to read with my screwed up eyes.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I'm partial to Timex Indiglo. Also have a 1951 Bulova that needs fixing.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

You guys might want to look ro see what Costco has locally. Some decent low end watches.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Also a Casio wearer. I bought one (Casio DW-200 Marlin) in college, it lasted more than 20 years when a battery change caused a water leak; it still works but I won't wear a non-water-resistant watch. I got a basic G-Shock and have been wearing it for the last 11 or so years with no issues. They Just Work.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Basic, silver Timex analog and digital, in rotation. Just like the ones I had in the early 80s.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 am Jewelry? Rolex? Sure. Tag Heuer not a chance.
I realize that Tag Heuers are considered tough functional watches, but many are also very nice looking, so that's why I said they are also jewelry.

Wearing a Rolex is a "money statement."
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."