Everything is not OK

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Everything is not OK

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix

Re: Everything is not OK

Post by Weetabix »

Well, that was depressing. I don't see that it said where they are. Any idea?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

What im amazed at, is the fact that neither of them went "underground" and did it anyway.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 am What im amazed at, is the fact that neither of them went "underground" and did it anyway.
That is my thought as well. Especially for the mechanic. It is a pretty easy area to set up as an off the books side job.

Of course he could doing it an she just didn't want to talk about it to random people .
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Actually, she could do it, too.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Could be, but it sounded as if they'd both moved to the area. Outsiders are particularly vulnerable in that situation.

Returning to the original point, everything is decidedly not OK. The problem here isn't limited to progressives, though. Established businesses find it easier to farm the government than to compete.

(Edit again): That really gets up my nose. I remember reading a book while researching my dissertation: in it, the author described a company that developed an innovative (and successful) child safety seat for cars, and then lobbied state governments for child-seat laws. This was presented as a good thing.

Unfortunately, there's way too much of that mindset in business academia (whether from ignorance, Bastiat's "that which is not seen," or otherwise). Rent-seekers should be shunned by decent people, not lionized.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 pm (Edit again): That really gets up my nose. I remember reading a book while researching my dissertation: in it, the author described a company that developed an innovative (and successful) child safety seat for cars, and then lobbied state governments for child-seat laws. This was presented as a good thing.
Look at "sawstop" if you want another example. Their saw was typically 800 dollars more than theyre competitors.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

HTRN wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:58 am
Look at "sawstop" if you want another example. Their saw was typically 800 dollars more than theyre competitors.
Add $70 for a replacement brake assembly plus the cost of a replacement blade as well as lost production time when it deploys.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Frosch

Post by Frosch »

On the other hand, you get to keep your fingers ... or hand.
--------------------------------------------
"The entire modern world owes its existence to capitalism.
Marxism isn't just a dead end, it's the road back to mud
huts." -- me
--------------------------------------------
g-man

Post by g-man »

Frosch wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 am On the other hand, you get to keep your fingers ... or hand.
True, but legislation requiring the use of said tech falls squarely in the category best described by an AF O-6 I worked with once during an exercise in Korea (in reference to the no-alcohol-during-exercises rule):

"The knee-jerk reaction is always the same. One guy shits his pants, and now we all have to wear diapers..."

I know it's not necessarily designed to be used this way, but I've used my chop saw to cut aluminum runners for RV curtains to length. Would've done the same on a table saw if I had one. You have to make sure to make the cut more slowly, but it works just fine. Would work the same for copper if I had such a use... except with the SawStop anything with conductivity kills those use-cases.

Carseats are often compared to unrestrained passenger protection, vice being compared to passengers wearing seatbelts. A properly belted child is near-as-makes-no-difference just as safe wearing an appropriately positioned lap and shoulder belt as they are in a carseat, in the wild majority of crash profiles. Yes, it is easier to keep a 4-year-old locked into a 5-point harness in a car seat than it is to keep them seated properly with a regular belt. But the 'authoritays' would have you believe it's akin to child abuse to let little Johnny ride in a car with just a belt. If your kid is a spastic little shit, by all means, 5-point their ass in. But a well-behaved child buckled in appropriately is not 'unsafe'. This shit requiring booster seats until kids are damn-near voting age is getting pretty retarded.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum