The USA buys a bunch of Bradleys

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Vonz90

The USA buys a bunch of Bradleys

Post by Vonz90 »

skb12172

Re: The USA buys a bunch of Bradleys

Post by skb12172 »

It looks like they expect us to be mixing it up in a major land war pretty soon in the future.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

One thing I was unable to tell from the article was whether these are upgrades/replacements for existing, older Bradleys, or whether the Army has made changes to the heavy/light mix in its force structure requiring more tracks. I suspect it's the former, since the latter should, logically, be accompanied by a similar sized order for new tanks.

According to wiki, an Armored Brigade Combat Team (ABCT) has 90 tanks and 90 Brads, so you're looking at roughly 5 ABCTs worth of tracks. The Army has 4 heavy divisions (1AD, 1ID, 3ID, 4ID) plus 3 other heavy BCT type formations (one BCT of 2ID, 3ACR, 11ACR (OPFOR, but they still have a standard equipment set, too). But I know at least one BCT of 1AD is actually a Stryker BCT, not a heavy one, for (I think) 14 total ABCTs or equivalent, not including the National Guard.

So you're looking at enough Brads for roughly a third of the active force.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

My guess is it isn't just that they want more and improved equipment... After over a decade and a half of war, the existing Bradleys are probably starting to get a little clapped out. Seems like these new ones may be a stopgap measure until they can get a next generation replacement developed.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

I call dibs for when I'm a FEMA camp guard!
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Langenator wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:22 pm One thing I was unable to tell from the article was whether these are upgrades/replacements for existing, older Bradleys, or whether the Army has made changes to the heavy/light mix in its force structure requiring more tracks. I suspect it's the former, since the latter should, logically, be accompanied by a similar sized order for new tanks.

According to wiki, an Armored Brigade Combat Team (ABCT) has 90 tanks and 90 Brads, so you're looking at roughly 5 ABCTs worth of tracks. The Army has 4 heavy divisions (1AD, 1ID, 3ID, 4ID) plus 3 other heavy BCT type formations (one BCT of 2ID, 3ACR, 11ACR (OPFOR, but they still have a standard equipment set, too). But I know at least one BCT of 1AD is actually a Stryker BCT, not a heavy one, for (I think) 14 total ABCTs or equivalent, not including the National Guard.

So you're looking at enough Brads for roughly a third of the active force.
They are upgrades. They are all of the current top variety. Apparently, Gen four has a heartier electrical system that can allow for the use of more electronic goodies that generation three simply cannot support.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I think there are upgrades to the powertrain and suspension, too, to get back at least some of the mobility that the added weight has taken away.

From what I remember from my days at ARCIC, a full up replacement for the Brad is the #3 priority in the ground combat vehicle queue, after a replacement for the M113 and better tanks.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus