Interesting ammo test steel vs brass

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Windy Wilson

Re: Interesting ammo test steel vs brass

Post by Windy Wilson »

Rumpshot wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:09 pm The worst part is the bimetal bullets really will wear a barrel out in a hurry.
What are bimetal bullets? Steel jackets? The Swiss surplus ammunition is an alloy that attracts a magnet but supposedly is kind to the barrels. That alloy is something called Tombac, which is technically not steel, but try telling that to the RSO with the magnet. :roll:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Windy Wilson wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:29 pm
Rumpshot wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:09 pm The worst part is the bimetal bullets really will wear a barrel out in a hurry.
What are bimetal bullets? Steel jackets? The Swiss surplus ammunition is an alloy that attracts a magnet but supposedly is kind to the barrels. That alloy is something called Tombac, which is technically not steel, but try telling that to the RSO with the magnet. :roll:
I think it's the tombac stuff.

Interestingly, though, on their cost analysis, it's cheaper in the long run to shoot the cheap stuff and replace barrels. But I don't want to replace barrels.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I've done some poking around, and I found that Winchester and Freedom Munitions both make steel cased pistol ammo that uses copper jacketed bullets.

Hornady makes their Steel Match ammo in .223, available in 55 and 75 grain weights. Also copper jacket. At least one of my ARs really liked the stuff, pre-Newtown. Supply disappeared for a good while, but I found that SGAmmo has it now.

Somebody needs to make some just cheap, range fun quality ammo with steel case and copper jackets.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

There's a brand of 7.62 Russian called Red Army that has copper-jacketed steel-cased ammunition. It's sold by Big Five that I know of. It seemed kind of sticky in the chamber, but seemed accurate enough.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

SGAmmo lists a whole bunch of stuff under the brand name "Red Army Standard", but it's all Commie calibers.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Langenator wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 pm SGAmmo lists a whole bunch of stuff under the brand name "Red Army Standard", but it's all Commie calibers.
I wonder why that is? ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

What I'm looking for is a) steel case with b) copper jacketed bullets; in .223, at blasting ammo price.

Everything Lucky Gunner tested was bi-metal.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus