Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

Re: Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Post by toad »

It is a butt pain trying to find out which models and which model years of Jeeps are good. It seems like you are OK if you get one that was built after the tooling for the assembly line was rebuilt and/or they fixed buggy electronics.
The complaint now is that electronics make it easier for crooks to steal cars and put in more points for failure?
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

If you're pretty tall, make sure you test drive a bit over less smooth roads. We were going to by a new 2001 Cherokee in 2001, but found out that (like so many other modern cars), stocky and nearly 6'6" didn't fit the Cherokee, and got painful going over bumps...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That was a common complaint with the XJ. Also, the XJ wasn't necessarily modern, the first ones having been produced in '84 or so.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Rich Jordan wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 am If you're pretty tall, make sure you test drive a bit over less smooth roads. We were going to by a new 2001 Cherokee in 2001, but found out that (like so many other modern cars), stocky and nearly 6'6" didn't fit the Cherokee, and got painful going over bumps...
I'm 6'4" and I have room to spare in my Lesbaru Forester.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Jered wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:46 am
Rich Jordan wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 am If you're pretty tall, make sure you test drive a bit over less smooth roads. We were going to by a new 2001 Cherokee in 2001, but found out that (like so many other modern cars), stocky and nearly 6'6" didn't fit the Cherokee, and got painful going over bumps...
I'm 6'4" and I have room to spare in my Lesbaru Forester.
We seat-tested the Outback and Forester. The Outback had inadequate headroom. The Forester was ok for height but was cramped side to side; I was pressed into the door while driving.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Rich Jordan wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:24 am We seat-tested the Outback and Forester. The Outback had inadequate headroom. The Forester was ok for height but was cramped side to side; I was pressed into the door while driving.
You must be bigger than I am.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
toad

Post by toad »

It is well out of my price range (For that much money I want a sex bot that can cook, clean, and do laundry) is the Honda Ridgeback pick up. It has a large V-6, but it comes with all wheel drive or just front wheel drive ? I wonder how well those front CVC joints would hold up to heavy loads or towing?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

toad wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:57 pm It is well out of my price range (For that much money I want a sex bot that can cook, clean, and do laundry) is the Honda Ridgeback pick up. It has a large V-6, but it comes with all wheel drive or just front wheel drive ? I wonder how well those front CVC joints would hold up to heavy loads or towing?
Yeah, the Japanese dont seem to do larger pickups that well, at lesst compared to the big 3...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

toad wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:57 pmI wonder how well those front CVC joints would hold up to heavy loads or towing?
The problem with CV joints is the rubber boots crack, particularly in colder weather. Then they lose their grease and gain contaminants, after which they live a very short life.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:29 pm
toad wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:57 pmI wonder how well those front CVC joints would hold up to heavy loads or towing?
The problem with CV joints is the rubber boots crack, particularly in colder weather. Then they lose their grease and gain contaminants, after which they live a very short life.

Not so much as they did 20 years ago. Polymer technology advanced and while yes boots do fail it's nowhere near like they did in the 80s.

CV joints on front drive axles had worked fine for GM since the 1988 Chevy GMC truck started using it.

The Ridgeline is the trucklet for people who don't want a truck. You wouldn't want to haul cords of wood every day but for the occasional lawn mower or bags of mulch or furniture it's great.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!