Military Leadership?

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
toad

Military Leadership?

Post by toad »

I was reading some military science fiction and a theory was presented that leadership can not be taught. An individual has it or he doesn't and the best thing is to put individuals into stressful training and observe to find those with leadership abilities. Any thoughts or comments on this ?
Precision

Re: Military Leadership?

Post by Precision »

Leadership can be taught. Stunningly brilliant leadership, not so much, but anyone with a spine and willing to do some basic work and take basic instructions can become a leader of a small group with not so tough tasks. As the group gets bigger and the tasks tougher natural leadership or tons of desire are required. Like everything else, some are natively better at it than others.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rod

Post by Rod »

Heck, I became a leader. Wasn't brilliant but I was a decent leader.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

It is some of both. Some have a better aptitude for it than others, but there is a body of knowledge and tools and anyone will be better if the learn to apply those tools.

The best are those with a gift for it and the tools.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Vonz90 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:12 pm It is some of both. Some have a better aptitude for it than others, but there is a body of knowledge and tools and anyone will be better if the learn to apply those tools.

The best are those with a gift for it and the tools.
+1
BDK

Post by BDK »

"Natural leaders" are either lying, or POS who surround themselves with toadies.
toad

Post by toad »

It seems that often the best leaders don't want the job, but the crazy and the stupid fight for it.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

That, all to often, seems to be the case with political leadership as well.

The only people who want to job (and are willing to wade through the BS that getting the job entails) are all too often people who should under no circumstances be allowed to have it.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus