The Gun Safe thread

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Steamforger

Re: The Gun Safe thread

Post by Steamforger »

I'm looking into either a long term deployment to the sandbox or an overseas gig in an /extremely/ remote location. That and the current shutdown have....well....shutdown any plans for a new safe in the foreseeable future.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have always had safes but I just relocated to Orlando and am in a condo on the 15th floor downtown now. We will buy a house next year sometime but until then I brought only essentials. My wife laughs that it was around 19 guns but it was hard to choose!

All that said I went and bought a stackon to store them and my thought is this, I have a doorman, every single door requires a keyfob, the elevator requires a key fob, there are cameras everywhere, and people walking around at all hours. It is a pretty unattractive target and unless you're spiderman only one way in. I feel they are secure enough until we get a house and casual guests won't get into anything. Kind of a layered defense here.

Thanks everyone for the good thread.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

Can't get my Stack-On open. It's a keyed lock not electronic and only 2 years old. The key will go in but the lock won't turn. I tried some basic suggestions from someone at church with lock experience. I tried contacting Stack-On and was on hold for 30 mins before the call dropped multiple times and haven't gotten a reply from email. Has anyone had any experience contacting them in the past? Getting married in two weeks and will need some stuff in it before that but thought I'd see if I can get it to open before I have it cracked by a locksmith.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Try pushing in on the door while you're wiggling the key. My Stack-On has levers that rotate to engage the frame and lock it. If you have something in there pressing on the door or slightly impeding the levers, then pushing on the door may help it clear. Also, if it's not rigidly secured, you might shake it a bit. And try the other key while doing all that, too.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

It's internally bolted into the concrete floor at the back of a closet to make it harder for thieves to manipulate but not wigglable. I tried hitting where the levers are with a rubber mallet while trying the keys but it didn't help.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

The locksmith got it open, a loose round had gotten between the back of the front of the safe and the front of the bottom locking bar and was jamming it from coming up when the lock was trying to turn the cam.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Glad you got it open.

Now to get some ammo cans so you don't have to store your ammo in a pile. Bonus - you can repurpose your ammo shovel.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

Why do I have an image of Scrooge McDuck swimming in a sea of loose .45 in my head?
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

My ammo stash is probably a piker compared to some of you. I will get some ammo cans though.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

You don't have an ammo stash till you need a pallet jack. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt