Interesting ammo test steel vs brass

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Interesting ammo test steel vs brass

Post by Combat Controller »

Best test I have seen to date. Lots of it surprised me. Linky
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
FelixEstrella

Re: Interesting ammo test steel vs brass

Post by FelixEstrella »

Nice! Thanks for posting.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Good to have some hard data. Thanks.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

That is very interesting. Kind of confirms what I've thought for a while: feed ARs brass-cased ammo for best results, steel as a last resort.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

What I got out of it, is steel cased is not great, but not all that bad. The worst part is the bimetal bullets really will wear a barrel out in a hurry.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
randy

Post by randy »

I noticed in their discussion if economic factors they did not work in reloading as a factor for brass cases (of course they are an ammo company).

Steel cases are much easier to collect up from a range (magnet vs stoop and search).

What's the best sweet spot out there on quality vs price point on replacement barrels these days?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Rumpshot wrote:What I got out of it, is steel cased is not great, but not all that bad. The worst part is the bimetal bullets really will wear a barrel out in a hurry.
^^^ This.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I would have liked to see them include a brand of steel case ammo with copper jacketed bullets in the test. I know of at least one - Hornady Steel Match - that already exists.

But 1000 rounds of HSM costs roughly twice as much as the same amount of Wolf or Tula, and about 50% more than Federal bulk pack stuff I don't know if there's a more budget-oriented, copper FMJ steel case round exists.

If it doesn't perhaps there's a market niche to be exploited.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Langenator wrote:I would have liked to see them include a brand of steel case ammo with copper jacketed bullets in the test. I know of at least one - Hornady Steel Match - that already exists.

But 1000 rounds of HSM costs roughly twice as much as the same amount of Wolf or Tula, and about 50% more than Federal bulk pack stuff I don't know if there's a more budget-oriented, copper FMJ steel case round exists.

If it doesn't perhaps there's a market niche to be exploited.
Why on earth would they make steel cased ammo that cost more than brass? :lol:
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Well, it's more expensive than Federal bulk pack...but it's still cheaper than HORNADY brass case standard ammo.

And the Match part is serious - I've used some of the 75 gr variety, and my 20" CMMG upper/barrel combo absolutely loved it. It disappeared from the shelves right after Newtown, and I hadn't really gone looking since, at least in part because I built a new 3-gun rifle, and I didn't want to mess with steel casings in a low mass system.

But appears to be available now, and the price beats most of the other match ammo I've looked at by at least $0.10 per round.

Back to my other point - since it seems that the bi-metal jackets were the cause of the barrel wear, while the steel cases imposed wear mostly on the extractor, there might be a market niche for copper jacketed FMJ, steel case rounds, provided they can keep the cost down. My searches so far haven't found anyone making such a round, although it may be out there. (I'm assuming anything from Wolf, Tulammo, and Brown/Silver Bear are all bi-metal.)

I would be interested to see if they could keep the cost low enough that the long term cost of not having to replace barrels as frequently is lower than that with the bi-metal.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus