R. Lee Ermey Passed

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
scipioafricanus

Re: R. Lee Ermey Passed

Post by scipioafricanus »

Old Grafton wrote:Hard to deal with. guess I always secretly thought he was... kinda ..immortal. Like I felt about John Wayne. Yeah, I know... none of us are. God Speed, Gunny.
Same here.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Termite wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:Heaven's [strike]Gates[/strike] streets are guarded...
FIFY.

St Peter has the gate. The Marines patrol the streets.

Speaking of Marines, Marine Recruit Jr Termite is doing quite well. Projected graduation date is May 25th.
Apologies. Leave it to a civilian to fail to confirm before posting.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I liked the guy as an actor, and he was an actual drill instructor and a VN vet and all. But he was an aviation support guy by MOS. It was not like he was a door kicker; good stuff and all and honorable service is honorable service, but let's not make him into something he was not.

Also, he was never an actual Gunny, that was an honorable title that he picked up much later after his service because of his high profile as an actor (discharged as a Staff Sergeant).
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

He was never an actual gunnery sergeant in service but the rank was eventually real... they promoted him in '02 because apparently the Corps figured their most famous gunny should be legit.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Strip_Legends_Never_Die.jpg
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

R. Lee Ermey was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery with full honors this past Friday.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the only major news site that even mentioned it was Fox.