Dan Wesson revolver

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Old Grafton

Re: Dan Wesson revolver

Post by Old Grafton »

30 years ago I got a used blued DW 6" .22 for a really low price. Some critter had spun a cocoon in the center of the barrel leaving a really rough area and that and a few light scratches were reflected in the price. Being at that time raising kids I didn't want to buy a new barrel so I bored out the bad one, turned a liner out of a piece of .22 rifle barrel (surplus Weatherby mk.XXII barrels from Numrich were $15, I had bought a couple for stuff like this previously) and used 5-minute epoxy to glue it in, then recrowned and cut a forcing cone.

It's one of the three most accurate .22 revolvers in the family. My son convinced me out of it 20+ years ago and I still tease him that I'm gonna swipe it back.

One thing to remember about DW's--Don't ever take off the sideplate outside of a clear plastic bag; there's a piece or two liable to launch under spring pressure tucked into that whore's nightmare of a patent-avoiding clockworks.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
randy

Post by randy »

Shiny!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Thats a pretty thing
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Right handsome shootin' iron there, Weetabix. :)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I showed one of my daughters the revolver. I showed it too her with the various barrel lengths and the different grips.

She said, "It's a Mr. Potato Head!" :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Weetabix wrote:I showed one of my daughters the revolver. I showed it too her with the various barrel lengths and the different grips.

She said, "It's a Mr. Potato Head!" :lol:
What does she say about an AR?
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I hang my head in shame that I haven't shot those with her yet. :oops:
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Weetabix wrote:I hang my head in shame that I haven't shot those with her yet. :oops:
Dude! And you're in a free state?
get-out-266x300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

She just hasn't been interested in the platform. She likes her Henry 22, and my pile of handguns.

OK. This should be my resolution for sometime in the next few months: get all the family members who haven't shot AR's out to try them. Then give them some.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I had an old Doskocil case I'd gotten in a trade. And some old rifle boxes with egg carton foam. Turns out a set of 2 mated layers just fit one side of this case. So, now the Dan Wesson has somewhere to live. Not sure quite where to put the combat grip. Maybe upper right, standing vertically. My foam cutting skills are nascent. I didn't cut the top layers, so there's some compression on the grip. The egg crate on the bottom layer under small parts is suboptimal, but what the heck - it was all stuff I had on hand. The original foam in the case remains uncut. Went to the auto parts store and got a feeler gauge set to set the barrel gap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.