.224 Valkyrie

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

.224 Valkyrie

Post by Rich Jordan »

LaRue Tactical's BuildAR program just presented me the option of (oh God) branching out into a new caliber, .224 Valkyrie. 6.8SPC case necked down to .224, works in an AR15 platform with a different bolt, barrel, and magazine. LaRue is selling a 20" barrel and bolt for $249. Not sure about the gas block and tube, but no magazine included.

I need to buy one to stay on the list (and I want to stay on the list). I'm not ecstatic about 'another caliber', especially a sparkly new one, but it is an interesting one from all I've read (supersonic to 1300 yards out of an AR15 platform). I currently don't have access to a range past 200 yards without a multi-hour drive, though I may have found a club that has 600 yards about 80 minutes away; checking on them soon.

Thoughts on the caliber?

Worst case I can sell them. I've got a spare upper/lower right now and spares of parts except a hand guard/rail, so buy a couple of magazines and start (oh God...) locating and buying ammo for it... sigh...
Precision

Re: .224 Valkyrie

Post by Precision »

The main reason I haven't bought one is it is a paper puncher. Carried energy is poor beyond normal ranges, but considering it is a 223 I guess that is to be expected.

Looks like a fun range toy and I may end up with one, but...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I need to buy one to stay on the list (and I want to stay on the list).
Buy and sell.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A more normal problem is getting off companies' fucking mailing lists once you have bought something from them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Precision wrote:The main reason I haven't bought one is it is a paper puncher. Carried energy is poor beyond normal ranges, but considering it is a 223 I guess that is to be expected.

Looks like a fun range toy and I may end up with one, but...
My eyes aren't going to make 600+ yard tiny groups a readily achievable goal, even with a high end rifle and optics. The heavy barrel AR and the someday 7.62x51 should be able to do 600 yards duty. And 6.8 mags aren't cheap either.

So I'll buy just the one set and resell it as Steamforger recommended.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote:A more normal problem is getting off companies' fucking mailing lists once you have bought something from them.
I'm happy to be on LaRue's lists. The BuildAR is a special list; LaRue offers a deal every quarter, $399 or less, usually for a lot more than that in value. Two quarters the deal was $399 for a $600 gift card, with the restriction that it was only usable on LaRue made parts (so you can't use them towards a Nightforce scope, f.ex). It started in early 2016 and put out the parts to build a pretty premium AR in 5.56 (mine) or .300 Blackout for an overall very good price.

If you skip a quarter and don't buy the deal, you are off the list. When the number of people on the list drops to a certain level (not as yet defined) the list will be discontinued.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Why in the blue fuck did they make it .224? Now, 6mm would be interesting as a long range cartridge...

Hhhhheeeeeeyyyy, waitaminute. What about necking one of the larger cases meant for an AR15 down to 6 or 6.5? Something that can drive a Berger 105 hybrid at better than 2500 feet/sec?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Someone was doing a wildcat based on the 6.8 SPC necked down to 6.5mm, called it the Six5. Supposed to give better velocities that the 6.5 Grendel.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The 30 ar, which is based on the 450bushmaster, holds 44 grains of water.

The problem is rim diameter if its too large, it can weaken the bolt, reducing max pressure limits.

Something based on the 50 beowulf would probably be the way to go..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Doesn't look like much excitement for this caliber here! When I get my (single) kit I'll look elsewhere to sell it.