US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
User avatar
JKosprey
Posts: 1275
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:57 pm

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by JKosprey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Netpackrat wrote:What is that "camouflage" pattern designed to blend in with?
My understanding is that it's not actually meant to be camo. It's supposed to hide paint stains better than the old one-color coveralls, allowing for a longer "serviceable uniform" time. Of course, if the navy just didn't expect people to stay clean while painting, it wouldn't be a problem.

User avatar
Steamforger
Posts: 2784
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by Steamforger » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:41 pm

I thought my CoC had gone insane when they came up with "inspection disagrees." It was confirmed when they decided we should be unrepping in "inspection disagrees."

For the uninitiated, unreps are dirty affairs. Lots of different types of grease, fuel oils, sea dye markers running all over you (they stain everything orange), etc. You would essentially have to have a new uniform for every day. Which is double plus unpossible.

User avatar
Frankingun
Posts: 1890
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:03 am

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by Frankingun » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Looking from the outside in, as in never in any military, I’m wondering, why doesn’t the Navy provide some kind of official coverall for dirty work?
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.

User avatar
randy
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 pm
Location: EM79VQ

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by randy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Frankingun wrote:Looking from the outside in, as in never in any military, I’m wondering, why doesn’t the Navy provide some kind of official coverall for dirty work?
Because that would make sense
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

User avatar
First Shirt
Posts: 4373
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by First Shirt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:55 pm

randy wrote:
Frankingun wrote:Looking from the outside in, as in never in any military, I’m wondering, why doesn’t the Navy provide some kind of official coverall for dirty work?
Because that would make sense
First rule of military thinking: If it makes sense, you've probably done it wrong.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Cobar
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by Cobar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:55 pm

First Shirt wrote:First rule of military thinking: If it makes sense, you've probably done it wrong.
This is why military intelligence is an oxymoron.

User avatar
Vonz90
Posts: 3257
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by Vonz90 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Frankingun wrote:Looking from the outside in, as in never in any military, I’m wondering, why doesn’t the Navy provide some kind of official coverall for dirty work?
They do and have for years. The fight is between those who want them worn all the time, those who only want them for very limited cases, and when those cases would apply or not.

On a ship, the CO has more or less complete authority set policy for that sort of thing.

User avatar
Rich
Posts: 2592
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by Rich » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:29 pm

In simple words, a work uniform technically exists to be worn to perform work. However there exists those among us who wish those who work to look sharp at all times to bring pride to the organisation, at least in their minds. The Army had a word for this. The word was Strac (sp).

As a former avionics technician I can tell you it is hard to look presentable while covered in grease and hydraulic fluid along with crusted sweat salts after twelve hours on a triple digit flight-line and be expected to look sharp at all times. Yet some who held the power of command over me not only expected it, but demanded it.

As long as we have these squirrels in command positions this problem won't change.

I believe this has been discussed as part of The Peter Principle. ;)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964

User avatar
First Shirt
Posts: 4373
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by First Shirt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Rich wrote:In simple words, a work uniform technically exists to be worn to perform work. However there exists those among us who wish those who work to look sharp at all times to bring pride to the organisation, at least in their minds. The Army had a word for this. The word was Strac (sp).

As a former avionics technician I can tell you it is hard to look presentable while covered in grease and hydraulic fluid along with crusted sweat salts after twelve hours on a triple digit flight-line and be expected to look sharp at all times. Yet some who held the power of command over me not only expected it, but demanded it.

As long as we have these squirrels in command positions this problem won't change.

I believe this has been discussed as part of The Peter Principle. ;)
Yet another argument in favor of requiring officer candidates to serve at least one hitch as enlisted.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

User avatar
Vonz90
Posts: 3257
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: US Navy has a Ribbon for Boot Camp Honor Grads

Post by Vonz90 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 am

First Shirt wrote:
Rich wrote:In simple words, a work uniform technically exists to be worn to perform work. However there exists those among us who wish those who work to look sharp at all times to bring pride to the organisation, at least in their minds. The Army had a word for this. The word was Strac (sp).

As a former avionics technician I can tell you it is hard to look presentable while covered in grease and hydraulic fluid along with crusted sweat salts after twelve hours on a triple digit flight-line and be expected to look sharp at all times. Yet some who held the power of command over me not only expected it, but demanded it.

As long as we have these squirrels in command positions this problem won't change.

I believe this has been discussed as part of The Peter Principle. ;)
Yet another argument in favor of requiring officer candidates to serve at least one hitch as enlisted.
This would not necessarily work out the way you would want. Some of O's I knew who were the biggest assholes to the enlisted were Mustangs.

Some former enlisted make great officers, a lot of them make absolutely horrible officers. There is not a lot in between.

Post Reply