Arthritis & joint pain

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
toad

Arthritis & joint pain

Post by toad »

I had tried Glucosamine chondroitin previously and didn't even get a placebo effect. About two weeks ago I read at WebMD that Glucosamine Sulfate would work better since it mimicked what was supposed to be in your system. So I've been trying it for about a week and a half and it seems to be working for me. I was hurting so bad I couldn't sleep.
I can get by with Acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) which is good because NSAIDs make me bleed like a stuck pig when I shaved or blew my nose.

It seems that I have "Orthostatic Hypertension" which is more a description symptoms rather than a description of cause. By control of diet I lost weight and got my blood pressure down. Now If I stand up to quick after lying or setting down my blood pressure drops and I have a tendency to fall over. I'm walking with a cane these days. If I ever get rich and famous I'll take advantage of Texas Law and get a Cold Steel sword cane.
Odahi

Re: Arthritis & joint pain

Post by Odahi »

I also had no results from glucosamine/chondroitin, but hadn't heard about glucosamine sulfate. I may have to give it a try, my knees are a bit problematic. :( "Getting old is not for sissies."
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
toad

Post by toad »

I'll be seeing the qua....er doctor on the 11th. I'll be interested to see if he or that cute resident can detect any changes.
I was able to walk to Wally World and hand carry a bag of groceries with out the usual pain. When I got home I unloaded my weight rack and moved it since it kind of blocks and electrical outlet that the Apartment certified electricians needs to get at.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

You restricted carbs yet? Get the sugars out and supporting a less inflammatory system environment?

Had a C reactive protein measurement?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

blackeagle603 wrote:You restricted carbs yet? Get the sugars out and supporting a less inflammatory system environment?
Interesting. I've restricted sugars and carbs (especially wheat) since about August. Mostly for weight. I'm only down about 9 lbs, though, because I'm not being attentive enough.

But now that you mention it, my knees have felt quite a bit better. Maybe it's the inflammatory thing?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Pretty consistent with my experience and many other anecdotes from others. Lines up with the science too. Read Wheatbelly yet?

Sugars are gas on the fire. Remove the fuel. Cut the grains, root veggies, and fruits (stick to low glycemic index "1/2" portions, like berries, when you've earned it with some actual intense or sustained activity). Get the carbs from BAS (big ass salads) and piles of veggies drowning in tasty tasty fats. Get through 3 days, then 3 weeks and see how you're feeling. The first week can be a metric B***h of carb flu and wheat withdrawal though

Stick to 50 grams of carbs a day and you'll be rocking. 100 grams of carbs a day and you'll still be well ahead of the game. I've fallen off the wagon over the weekend, pre-Tgiving eating with extended family and I got into some Pecan Pie and other treats (scraped off of the wheat crust). Back on the wagon a couple days and head into thanksgiving. Wife is cooking Primal/Keto so the carbs in deserts/pies are way down from historical levels at this time of year.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story