Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Gunnuts

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by Gunnuts »

Greg wrote::jacked:
Gunnuts wrote:RetroPie.

Make an old guy happy. ;)
Pretty much. I bought a Pi2 a couple of months back to build a retrogaming setup. I'm partway there, it's on the queue.
Built one for my dad for Christmas.

He's having fun. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

Mi Pi2 sits in the garage and I use it for bench testing my astro webcam. I'm trying to get it sorted out for being able to autoguide, but it doesn't want to hook up to my mount correctly. I should probably work out how the software is supposed to work on a full-size laptop, then go to the plugged-in RasPi, then work up to remote controlling it from a tablet. Still, it's got a decent connection over wifi to the intarwebz, so pulling up references when I'm out working on stuff in the garage is really handy.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I know exactly nothing WTF about any of this....Can one be hooked to a Dillon 650? :lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Old Grafton wrote:I know exactly nothing WTF about any of this....Can one be hooked to a Dillon 650? :lol:
A dollop of JB Weld should do the trick.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

Weet, unless you're going to start automating machinery to move products in and out of different temperature baths - which would be fascinating, sous vide is little more than a crock pot hooked to a thermostat
BDK

Post by BDK »

But automated blanching has possibilities...
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

BDK wrote:Weet, unless you're going to start automating machinery to move products in and out of different temperature baths - which would be fascinating, sous vide is little more than a crock pot hooked to a thermostat
"The fascinating thing about a dancing bear is not how well it dances, but that it dances at all."

I bought a Raspberry Pi Ultimate Starter Kit(!). It has a GPIO extension board, several experiments, and code to work with.

I got xrdp to work so I don't have two sets of keyboards and mice confusing me. Ran and edited some of the most rudimentary code in the world. I'm going to go through the experiments, then see if I can come up with something amusing on my own. I'm still interested in the sous vide to see if I can get the bear to dance at all. ;)

Oh, yeah: necro alert!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I am fascinated by these things but can not think up a single use I would have for them. The only things like this ive ever played with is a nixie tube clock whose tubes sadly started to leek some years ago.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Whole-network ad blocking: Pi-Hole. Saw it over on another forum I'm on and have it on my to-do list.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

A few years ago I picked up a couple of the USB ASIC miners for bitcoin dirt cheap during one of the coin's downturns. They were obsolete even then. I use a gen 1 Raspberry PI to run cgminer and drive the miners; they've been chewing away at a mining pool for a few years now.

I wish I could say they're earning a lot but with the increases in BTC value, they are more than breaking even. The power usage is surprisingly low.

I think the biggest USB miners top out at 60 ~GHashes/sec; that is far far from break-even these days but its still a bit of fun.