Police and the 2nd Amendment

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Police and the 2nd Amendment

Post by Vonz90 »

Jered

Re: Police and the 2nd Amendment

Post by Jered »

Police officers in Southaven, Miss., were trying to serve an arrest warrant for aggravated assault on a man named Samuel Pearman,
...and...they obviously didn't succeed.
instead they showed up at a trailer owned by an auto mechanic named Ismael Lopez
I'm willing to bet these two gentleman don't look anything alike.
It was nighttime
Heaven forbid they serve a warrant during the day. :roll: Seriously. It's summer. They have 13 hours or so of daylight to choose from. But, no, we have to go at night...because reasons.
Lopez opened his door and a pit bull charged out
Imagine that. They scared someone at night and his dog runs out of the house.
One officer opened fire on the dog, the other officer fired on the man allegedly holding a gun in the doorway, pointing it at the men approaching his home.
I bet they were wearing dark clothes. At night. Obviously, they're out collecting for the Red Cross.
it was only after the smoke cleared that the officers made their “heart-dropping discovery: They were at the wrong home.”
Apparently, it's too much work to actually look at the address before you go pound on the door and wake some guy up at night.
First, extraordinarily dangerous and kinetic no-knock raids should be used only in the most extreme circumstances.
Gee. Guess what. If you show up and knock on someone's door, and they flush the drugs down the toilet, oh well. It's still a victory for the war on drugs, because those dealers have flushed their product. Of course, that doesn't look all high speed.

If you're looking for some dude, why not just camp out at his house until he goes to leave for work and collar him then? Hey, have someone go through the neighborhood and ask approximately when that guy leaves for work. Catch him then.
Innocent men and women are left with no recourse
There actually is a recourse. It doesn't end well for anyone, though.

How hard would it be to figure out what shift a police officer works by sitting outside their station for a couple of days. (It's not illegal to sit on the sidewalk with binoculars and a notebook.) Once you know where and when he works, one could, for instance, obtain a cargo van for less than $2000, construct a shooting platform in it, park, and wait for your target to start his shift.

How long did it take them to catch the DC snipers?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:There actually is a recourse. It doesn't end well for anyone, though.

How hard would it be to figure out what shift a police officer works by sitting outside their station for a couple of days. (It's not illegal to sit on the sidewalk with binoculars and a notebook.) Once you know where and when he works, one could, for instance, obtain a cargo van for less than $2000, construct a shooting platform in it, park, and wait for your target to start his shift.
I like the irony of using actual investigation against those who couldn't be bothered with it in the first place.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Everyone involved in it should be charged manslaughter.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I love how it was a "heart dropping discovery" for the cops that they were at the wrong home. Poor cops. It was also a heart-STOPPING event for the home-owner, but who cares about little things like that.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I'm sure an internal investigation will show that they followed their procedures (spit).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Wait till they stumble on someone who knows what they are doing. Reminds me of the home invasion of a Grand Master IDPA guy... it didn't go well for the intruders.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Jered

Post by Jered »

scipioafricanus wrote:Wait till they stumble on someone who knows what they are doing. Reminds me of the home invasion of a Grand Master IDPA guy... it didn't go well for the intruders.
Wait until they do this to someone with a relative with nothing to lose and some motivation. It doesn't even take someone with a clue. Just motivation.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
BDK

Post by BDK »

It's more about the Fourth Amendment than the Second.

And a few manslaughter convictions would work wonders.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

BDK wrote:It's more about the Fourth Amendment than the Second.

And a few manslaughter convictions would work wonders.
They'll be building snowmen in Hell before that happens. No DA will go after a cop, especially for things done while on duty, because that'll piss off the other cops, who will then start mis-handling evidence and causing the DA's conviction rate to plummet.

It is kinda silly that cops often fail to perform a task my mail-man handles just fine every day, i.e. making sure you're at the right frikkin' house.

My question is why they bothered with a high-speed-low-drag entry on an arrest warrant anyway? Why not just camp outside and grab him when he leaves to go buy groceries? Oh wait, that's not sexy and requires actual police work. Besides, SWAT teams are expensive, you have to USE them for something.....