Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Odahi

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Odahi »

If it weren't for air conditioning, Florida wouldn't be habitable. I was there for work last week. The first day, the heat index was 105, and that was the "coolest" it was the whole time. It ramped up steadily until Thursday and Friday, both of which had a heat index of 111. Drink lots of water, they say, which is fine if you aren't working in a tower with a rickety elevator and the nearest bathroom 1000' away. It's not the heat, it's the damn humidity (I grew up in El Paso, FFS).
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Hah, yeah Florida and, at the time Millington TN, a culture shock for us west coasters airedales when we arrived in P-cola for training. Never trust any air you can't drink.

30+ years later my San Diego born and raised son's first text from P'cola while waiting in the open air baggage claim was "Guess people don't have to drink any water here. They just breath."
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Odahi wrote:If it weren't for air conditioning, Florida wouldn't be habitable.
Florida before AC was like Los Angeles before Mulholland built his water project...

What's funny was, it had a number of destination towns in the early twentieth century, where the rich would come down from various Northern cities, like New York, Philly and Boston, who would go down foe three months to avoid freezing their ass off on winter, then would go back in spring. This was the background setting of the Marx brothers movie "Cocoanuts". :ugeek:

Btw, New York in August is no fun either, 90f/90% is just plain unpleasant. :evil:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

This morning there was a slight delay getting off of the subway platform, there was a bottleneck because no one wanted to walk up the stairs past the rat that was cavorting on them. Welcome to New F*cking York City!
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

HTRN wrote:
Btw, New York in August is no fun either, 90f/90% is just plain unpleasant. :evil:
Y'all should visit the Midwest. At least our heat and humidity comes with that fresh corn scent. :P
Greg

Post by Greg »

Gunnuts wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Y'all should visit the Midwest. At least our heat and humidity comes with that fresh corn scent. :P
OK, I just lived half an hour west of NYC for 10 years (Montville Township, opsec no longer applies), and then half an hour west of St Louis for 2 years.

I've heard some people here in MO talk about the humidity and how it makes it feel hotter..... No. It's much drier here than NJ. NJ may not be Houston, but it's still substantially more humid than St Louis.

It's hotter in MO - both higher air temps, and the sun is noticeably stronger. So much so that I bought prescription sunglasses and frequently wear a hat when I'm going to be outside for any length of time. But the lower humidity makes it more comfortable, mostly. (Doing physical labor in direct sun here is worse than doing the same thing in NJ.)

Summer evenings here in MO, after the sun goes down and the peak heat of the day is past, are absolutely exquisite. It's the lower humidity. You only get a few days a *year* in NJ where the evenings are that nice.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

MarkD wrote:This morning there was a slight delay getting off of the subway platform, there was a bottleneck because no one wanted to walk up the stairs past the rat that was cavorting on them. Welcome to New F*cking York City!
Getting soft over there. The NYFC I remember, that rat would be in trouble.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Greg wrote:
MarkD wrote:This morning there was a slight delay getting off of the subway platform, there was a bottleneck because no one wanted to walk up the stairs past the rat that was cavorting on them. Welcome to New F*cking York City!
Getting soft over there. The NYFC I remember, that rat would be in trouble.
The blockage was mostly women wearing open shoes, so stomping the little bastard wasn't an option for them.

Although I don't get how ANYONE can ride the subway in flip-flops, I'd want to boil my feet when I got home. I can barely stand it in shoes and socks.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:I've heard some people here in MO talk about the humidity and how it makes it feel hotter..... No. It's much drier here than NJ. NJ may not be Houston, but it's still substantially more humid than St Louis.
I was in LV recently. Over 100, but dry. It felt more bearable than here. I guess it's all about what you're used to.
Summer evenings here in MO, after the sun goes down and the peak heat of the day is past, are absolutely exquisite. It's the lower humidity. You only get a few days a *year* in NJ where the evenings are that nice.
Have you had any of the mornings yet where the humidity is low, temps in the low 70's, sky bright blue, a few fluffy white clouds, and a light breeze? Those are heaven to me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I was thinking about all this foofaraw going around about legalizing marijuana, and I realized: it's people nip, and the people are just jealous of the cats. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D