Smart Gun Defeated with $15 Worth of Magnets

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Jered

Smart Gun Defeated with $15 Worth of Magnets

Post by Jered »

Story

Smart gun isn't smart. :roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
g-man

Re: Smart Gun Defeated with $15 Worth of Magnets

Post by g-man »

I saw that. Either you have a simple electromagnet like this that is quickly defeatable, or you have an overly complicated cammed or multiple actuator system that is much more jam-prone. Guns are tools, and the general object of making 'smarter' tools is to allow their use by dumber operators (i.e. Hardware solutions to a training problem ala the M9...).

Smart guns are stupid.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Greg

Post by Greg »

Trying to take a fundamentally bad idea and then *make* it work, with sufficiently clever engineering....

That's the path to anvils with 70 moving parts, that need to be wound twice a day.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

Armatix spokesperson Georg Jahnen…argued that the jamming attack actually demonstrates the gun’s safety measures, since it at least failed in a safe way, rather than firing without receiving a signal from the watch.
Emergency life support equipment that fails to perform it’s primary function in an emergency. Yeah, that defines “safe way” to me.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I am going to go out against the pack a bit and say I actually see a market for something like this. Any government coercion is the wrong way to go (and unconstitutional) but there is a niche for it. It needs to be more reliable than it is now and it needs to be keyed to something not obvious (i.e. not a ring, watch, other external feature that can be taken easily).

Actually, police or particularly prison guards should be the target market. They are both more likely to be in an altercation where getting their weapon stolen is an issue and have the kind of maintenance back up to support it.

I could see a subset of home owners who would want it as a bedside gun that they do not have to worry about a kid / thief / whomever getting a hold of it. (I am not one of those people, but I am sure they are out there.)

Short answer, I am all for innovation. And the basic idea of a weapon that is keyed to the right user is potentially useful in some situations. What we need is federal legislation to preclude states from mandating it.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Greg wrote:Trying to take a fundamentally bad idea and then *make* it work, with sufficiently clever engineering....

That's the path to anvils with 70 moving parts, that need to be wound twice a day.
Sounds like German engineering...

...wait...

:roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jered wrote:
Greg wrote:Trying to take a fundamentally bad idea and then *make* it work, with sufficiently clever engineering....

Sounds like German engineering...

...wait...

:roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This particular thing being a product of a German company is just a hilarious bonus.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr