Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

In WA for the sole purpose of renewing my non-resident CCW permit... Which expires tomorrow and MUST be renewed in person for reasons that I don't really understand, given that they don't require fingerprints for a renewal. Woman at the Marysville police department was snippy as hell when she said they only do Marysville residents, despite state law saying that a non-resident can go to any police station in the state, and also the fact that they accepted my application (including fingerprinting me) for my original issuance. Had to drive to Everett to get it done at the Snohomish County Sheriff's office, where everybody was nice and helpful despite working every day in a complex of ugly concrete buildings. Back on the plane to Anchorage tomorrow.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I sometimes think that government jobs exist so that the incompetent aren't defecating in the streets raving about how they deserve something or other.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Rereading a little Norman Friedman....

After the London Naval Conference in 1930, the US considered some ways to make the most of what we were allowed under the treaty.

One was aviation cruisers. Hybrid cruiser/carriers. There was one design in 1931 that was seriously considered that had guns forward, a large island offset to the right amidships (need someplace for fc directors, funnels, etc) and aft the usual hangar with a flight deck on top.

The flight deck was angled. Yep, 2 deg to port to help clear the island and guns forward, etc.

Angled deck aside, it was neither a good carrier nor cruiser, and interest in hybrid designs mostly went away.

Then there was the Big Distraction.

Wasn't until 1952, when the RN was brainstorming ways to get fast jets and carriers to play nice, that somebody found a proper use for the angled deck. (USN was 100% preoccupied at the time and had been for years, with fighting the REAL enemy, the USAF. Seriously, the postwar USAF was more of a threat to the Navy than the IJN ever was.)

We tried it. First attempt was paint only, the arrestors were even still axial. Worked great.

Makes for a big what-if.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Cobar wrote:I sometimes think that government jobs exist so that the incompetent aren't defecating in the streets raving about how they deserve something or other.
Somebody spent some time at Motor Vehicle! :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Greg wrote:
Cobar wrote:I sometimes think that government jobs exist so that the incompetent aren't defecating in the streets raving about how they deserve something or other.
Somebody spent some time at Motor Vehicle! :)
HA! Not recently, that was a musing about NPR's experience. Last License renewal I did online. It beat waiting in line for hours.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Back home now. WA permit expired a couple hours ago, but I should have the new one in a couple weeks, in plenty of time for whenever I end up down there again. Got to see my sister and some other family I don't get to see too often, so it wasn't a completely stupid trip even if the reason was stupid.

Just watched Ian and Karl's latest video, and I would recommend everybody else do so as well...

Dangerous Things Are Dangerous

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Netpackrat wrote:Just watched Ian and Karl's latest video, and I would recommend everybody else do so as well...

Dangerous Things Are Dangerous
Yup, that is a good one. I need to take their advice.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Just found Robot on Netflix, always wanted to see it think The Terminator as done by Bollywood. :shock:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote:Back home now. WA permit expired a couple hours ago, but I should have the new one in a couple weeks, in plenty of time for whenever I end up down there again. Got to see my sister and some other family I don't get to see too often, so it wasn't a completely stupid trip even if the reason was stupid.
Do you get a direct flight and check a pistol?

I don't think you can borrow one without going to a gun store because of that crappy gun control initiative that they passed because 60% of Washington State voters are flat out stupid and can't be bothered to actually read the law that they voted for.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:Do you get a direct flight and check a pistol?

I don't think you can borrow one without going to a gun store because of that crappy gun control initiative that they passed because 60% of Washington State voters are flat out stupid and can't be bothered to actually read the law that they voted for.
Yes, checked in my baggage as per usual.