What to put on the muzzle

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Re: What to put on the muzzle

Post by Rich Jordan »

Ordered a Kaw Valley to try. So depending on how much time I want to spend swapping and testing, I'll have a 20" heavy (currently with ALG Sidewinder) and a new 16" mid build (with TBD muzzle feature), and the ALG Sidewinder, a birdcage, a thread protector cap, and the linear compensator to possibly swap around and test. Plus retrying the RRA, which turns out to be a 16" midweight with an RRA brake that apparently they don't make any more. We'll see what happens.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Do you want to modify the recoil impulse (muzzle brake) or quell the blast (flash hider)?

Back when I got my Kel-Tec PLR 16, when they first came out, Kel-Tec was promising a muzzle brake made for the gun, but hadn't released it yet. I put a Phantom flash hider on it, which worked very well. I did get the Kel-Tec muzzle brake once it became available. With that brake, the gun is extremely loud and produces huge fireballs, but hey, that's half the fun of such a gun. :P
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Technically I should be leery of straight flash hiders due to local issues. Its a mishmash of different restrictions and rules depending on where you live drive through, shoot, etc. I didn't mind the brake on the 20" but I saw the folks in the next lane flinching and backing off while I was shooting (again, indoor range; outdoor is now a whole-day commitment due to distance, and I haven't had time lately). So its more of being neighborly. I expect the 16" will add some power to a brake's concussion and side blast, so just looking at the available alternatives.

Sometime later when I have the time (yeah right...) I could swap devices and test at longer ranges outdoors to see if there's any effect on accuracy. If there is, the 20" gets whatever is most accurate (its also getting the good scope when I can afford it), and the 16" will get what is nicest/most pleasant to shoot as long as its not a large negative to accuracy.

At least until a suppressor becomes a viable options...
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Have you looked at the A2 Foxhole muzzle break?
https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-uppe ... zle-brake/
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Might be worth a look:

https://simplethreadeddevices.com/
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

This is what I currently have on my Rock River. Works damn good.

https://www.raven1tactical.com/ar15-acc ... brake.html
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Jered

Post by Jered »

A condom
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

TheArmsman wrote:This is what I currently have on my Rock River. Works damn good.

https://www.raven1tactical.com/ar15-acc ... brake.html
Thanks for the recco. I'm not sure I'll be putting a normal brake on another 5.56 at this point, but you never know. Got to do some testing with varying barrel lengths, etc.
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Understood.

I have done double-tap head shots at a hundred yards with this one.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote:Might be worth a look:

https://simplethreadeddevices.com/
That does look interesting especially for the shorter barrel (why use a 16" if you're going to stick a lot of inches of muzzle device on it?) Maybe after I test what I've got and the Kaw Valley one... I recently won an AR receiver in a contest so that will be a third gun needing barrel and parts...