Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:Don't want to necro the gun lube thread.

Needed to buy some oil for the lawnmower today. Picked up a jug of generic 10w-30 which is what Honda recommends. 5 quart jug should last me a year or two. Actually changing the oil was easy.. once I remembered how to do it. But that's true of many things you don't do often.

Anyway, while I was in the store I also bought a quart of 5w-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Not for my lawnmower. ;)
The thing to use wasnt motot oil, but atf. But it stains, has an odor, and isnt non toxic. If your shopping at the auto parts store for gun oil, a better bet is "nyoil", they also sell it on Amazon. Frankly the best option according to the grant cunningham article, is Lubriplate FMO-350- AW, but that only comes in large quantities (Amazon only sells it in 4 packs of a gallon, for 140 dollars). Lubrikits.com sells it sub divided into smaller 4 oz containers for 9 bucks. They also sell a grease kit/oil combo for 17 bucks that pretyy much covers 99% of your gun lube needs.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:

Needed to buy some oil for the lawnmower today. Picked up a jug of generic 10w-30 which is what Honda recommends. 5 quart jug should last me a year or two. Actually changing the oil was easy.. once I remembered how to do it. But that's true of many things you don't do often.

Anyway, while I was in the store I also bought a quart of 5w-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Not for my lawnmower. ;)
The thing to use wasnt motot oil, but atf. But it stains, has an odor, and isnt non toxic. If your shopping at the auto parts store for gun oil, a better bet is "nyoil", they also sell it on Amazon. Frankly the best option according to the grant cunningham article, is Lubriplate FMO-350- AW, but that only comes in large quantities (Amazon only sells it in 4 packs of a gallon, for 140 dollars). Lubrikits.com sells it sub divided into smaller 4 oz containers for 9 bucks. They also sell a grease kit/oil combo for 17 bucks that pretyy much covers 99% of your gun lube needs.
I wonder if anybody has ever tried power steering fluid? It's synthetic with similar properties as ATF (since older PS systems used ATF), mostly colorless, and doesn't seem to stink.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Why bother? A gallon of fmo350aw is 25 bucks plus shipping on ebay.

Admittedly, you have the whole alaska problem, but the next time you're in an auto parts store, check to see if they have nyoil..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Why would I need a food grade oil?

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:Why would I need a food grade oil?
Go read the grant cunningham article

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Did I miss a link? Also, who is Grant Cunningham, and why do I care?

TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

HTRN wrote:

HRTN, are these the articles to which you are referring too?

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/
http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/07/ ... your-guns/
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:

Why do I want something that stains, and is toxic?

Note, I also have knives and various other tools.

I use mineral oil on anything that has a chance to touch food - it's food grade, buy it in the laxative aisle at the store. But the mineral oil doesn't seem to be particularly great as a lubricant.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

TheArmsman wrote:
HTRN wrote:

HRTN, are these the articles to which you are referring too?

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/
http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/07/ ... your-guns/
Yes. There's a lot of snake oil being sold these days as gun lube. You can buy a gallon of the fmo350aw off of eBay for 40 bucks, and unless you're an armorer or are named ,"Candyman" :mrgreen: it will be enough to last five lifetimes

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:Did I miss a link? Also, who is Grant Cunningham, and why do I care?
Grant Cunningham, is a gunsmith who posted a couple of articles debunking miracle gun lube, what's cheap that works, and supposedly spoke with triboligists(oil engineers) before writing said articles. I don't know how true the last part is, but my limited knowledge of oil and grease(relatively speaking) makes my gut feeling that he's on the money.

Frankly the toxic issue is less of a concern than a staining issue do you plan on licking your pistol slide? At most it might be a skin irritant from incidental contact. The reason why motor oil is a bad idea, is they typically contain benzene, which causes oxidation issues.