Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Greg

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Greg »

I have one of those Sony turntable 300 CD changers.

A while back it stopped working. So I did some research and ordered some spare parts..... And the other day I fixed it, with the help of some YouTube videos.

Turns out everything mechanical that thing does is driven by plastic gears and belt drives. Except the 'belts' are little black rubber bands of very specific sizes.

Two of them had stretched out and fallen off. Third one was guilty by association- I replaced all 3. Required removing dozens of screws and disconnecting half a dozen or so little cable plugs.

The little rubber bands were like a buck each. Paying to fix it would have been in triple digits. Yay me. Anyone having similar trouble, I can help walk you through it.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Did Sony ever make those jukeboxes for DVDs?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I had one of those Sony CD changers except mine was a 50 disc version, still in good working order. I threw it out with the trash a few weeks ago.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:I had one of those Sony CD changers except mine was a 50 disc version, still in good working order. I threw it out with the trash a few weeks ago.
Well I know you kids these days don't do CD's any more, but some of us old timers still like to have music on physical media. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:Did Sony ever make those jukeboxes for DVDs?
I don't think so. Not entirely sure. The tech's a dead end anyway.

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:Well I know you kids these days don't do CD's any more, but some of us old timers still like to have music on physical media. ;)
I like the physical media for the originals, but I rip it all to an iPod and listen from that.

And I got the iPod from a repair place where they cobbled together an old case and board, new battery and hard drive. Practically new, and for cheap. :mrgreen:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Well I know you kids these days don't do CD's any more, but some of us old timers still like to have music on physical media. ;)
I like the physical media for the originals, but I rip it all to an iPod and listen from that.

And I got the iPod from a repair place where they cobbled together an old case and board, new battery and hard drive. Practically new, and for cheap. :mrgreen:
We have an AV receiver with decent speakers as part of a modest home theater in our living room. The CD player is hooked up to that.

On the rare occasions I have use of the living room to myself, actually playing a CD through real speakers is a much more satisfying experience than playing music either on my PC (and its modest little desktop speakers) or on phone or tablet, through earbuds.

Though yes, most of my listening is ripped mp3's on a mobile device, through earbuds.

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

This little bad boy has excellent sound.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:Did Sony ever make those jukeboxes for DVDs?
I don't think so. Not entirely sure. The tech's a dead end anyway.
I just looked, and they did indeed make a 400 dosc blu ray player in 2009.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I like the CDs too, but I am going to be moving soon, and it was easier to move that monster to the trash bin for somebody else to take away, than to pack it up to move myself. The 20+ year old shelf system it was hooked to will likely be making the move though, because it works well enough for a garage stereo and I just have to get a cord so I can plug the ipod into it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop