The Trump Administration: Day One

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
blackeagle603

Re: The Trump Administration: Day One

Post by blackeagle603 »

Steamforger wrote:I wonder who he thinks is going to run that wall project???? Because DHS isn't going to. They're a law enforcement agency, not an AE agency.
General John Kelly, head of DHS.

...and they did a dandy job with the 14 miles put thru the San Dog/TJ sector. That's said to be the prototype for the longer sections. That was originally championed by Duncan Hunter the Elder (after a citizen uprising started on Roger Hedgecock's talk radio show that led to Friday night "Light up the Border" events).

History lesson

addendum
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

If I wanted to do it, I would just point the Seabees at it, give them a budget and tell them message to Garcia.
From your mouth to God's ears.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Vonz90 wrote:tell them message to Garcia.
The screed from some jerk publisher who was mad he didn't have psychic underlings? :?
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Jericho941 wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:tell them message to Garcia.
The screed from some jerk publisher who was mad he didn't have psychic underlings? :?
If you want to take it as a negative, then you don't understand it.

There are two parts of it, get people in jobs that you can trust to do a job without micromanaging them, and then give them the goals and let them do it.

What is not to like (unless you a tasked based kind of guy, which is fine, but limiting.)
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Vonz90 wrote:If you want to take it as a negative, then you don't understand it.

There are two parts of it, get people in jobs that you can trust to do a job without micromanaging them, and then give them the goals and let them do it.

What is not to like (unless you a tasked based kind of guy, which is fine, but limiting.)
It rang hollow based on past observation in the workplace. I've seen too many leaders assign a vague task and then blow up when they're asked for clarification. The end result is that people try to "show initiative" by not seeking clarification, and then the leader is once again left dumbfounded and angry that they didn't get exactly what they wanted. They don't learn, and in their mind it's because they're the ones dealing with hapless idiots who can't or won't learn, the buffoons that can only be motivated by pitching a fit. Meanwhile, other people in their position get efficient work out of the same employees without behaving as though asking about the task at hand is a personal affront.

Taking the encyclopedia scenario, for example, I find it more likely to play out more like this:
"Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of some Renaissance fellow. His name starts with C-O.” And because the clerk has worked with you for fifteen minutes, he knows he had better quietly say, “Yes, sir,” and go do the task. Then, of course, the blithering idiot comes back to you with a memorandum about the life of Copernicus, not Correggio like you clearly wanted. On top of that, he's submitted it in the standard company format, not the format you personally prefer. Good help is impossible to find.
Maybe I've just had exceptionally bad luck with employers and Hubbard had exceptionally bad luck with employees. I would certainly agree that employees that show initiative and don't need to be micromanaged are good (required, even), but I strongly disagree with the notion that they're that hard to find, or nigh-impossible to cultivate. I certainly didn't get anything about allowing employees to accomplish set goals from the essay, since it seems fully dedicated to whining about how he needs to hire somebody to club and kick employees to make them useful.

Although, there is something personally amusing about this line:
My heart goes out to the man who does his work when the “boss” is away, as well as when he is home.
...because I've had a job where my supervisor and I had to devise ways to get out of the office (or get the boss out of the office) just to accomplish anything! That boss didn't like questions either, but he certainly loved to re-task you when you were in full momentum on something else. Squadron leadership thought the office was full of goldbrickers and it seemed we were always in the hot seat, until the boss went on leave. Then they saw just how much the two of us could get done on our own and they loved us. Eventually said boss PCS'd and we kept everything running smoothly without him. Sometimes I miss that facility job, but it was only supposed to be temporary from the beginning, and it was back to the line.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: he's stolen Obama's playbook
Obama "borrowed" it from Bill and Hillary. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

blackeagle603 wrote:
If I wanted to do it, I would just point the Seabees at it, give them a budget and tell them message to Garcia.
From your mouth to God's ears.
I can see that working out well. DHS doing 14 miles may have worked out well. DHS doing 2,000 miles while administering the contract(s)?

Color me skeptical. At least skeptical about it happening in a way that won't create deficiencies, blown budgets, blown schedules, poor quality, or claims arising from shot down Requests for Equitable Adjustments.

But, yeah, I can completely see deploying some Seabees or Engineering Battalions, or both, in order to get that done.
randy

Post by randy »

Be a good annual training deployment for Guard and Reserve engineer units.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Be an even better work party for folks being sent packing south of the border.

Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Back to the Message to Garcia bit, I read "How I Got the Message to Garcia" by Colonel Andrews Summers Rowan. To carry the metaphor past where Elbert Hubbard intended it to go, Colonel, (then Lieutenant -- promotions came slowly in the 1880's and 1890's) was placed in the hands of rebel cavalry. He was essentially an envelope for the message, although he missed being stabbed one night thanks his quick reaction to a gunshot that roused him out of a sound sleep. Hubbard portrays the message delivery something on the order of Stanley meeting Livingston on the Limpopo. "You'll know him when you see him, so go into the jungle."
The Vulcan mind-meld school of management was well established long before Leonard Nimoy's father was born.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy