The Trump Administration: Day One

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Re: The Trump Administration: Day One

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote:Let's all keep in mind that back tracking and neglecting core constituents by Trump still beats active pursuit of statist evil by Hillary.
I hope so, but that remains to be seen. the worst case scenario is that the administration is a disaster, the Left gets all of its wish list and conservatives get blamed for everything bad that happens because "he was a conservative" even though he isn't. This is known as the Richard Nixon scenario.

I want him do well and right but I am not prepared to give my stamp of approval 4 days in.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

meh, plan was and remains, start by going after the crookedest and most dangerous of illegals first. So the Dreamers thing is sort of academic. In the meantime he looks softer and defuses some opposition. There are many who have been terrorized into believing they'll be deported even though they've been naturalized as citizens or have full legal immigrant status.

Missionary friend in Ensenada says you can't find a house to rent or buy or hardly a lot to build on or place an RV on down there. They're suddenly full up with people who've self deported and Ensenada is busting at the seams.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I wonder who he thinks is going to run that wall project???? Because DHS isn't going to. They're a law enforcement agency, not an AE agency.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I'm beginning to think the wall is mostly meant to be a big, visible target to distract from the real work going on behind the scenes. In other words, he's stolen Obama's playbook to use for good. And in 4 years when his opponents try to use the fact that he promised a wall (that didn't really materialize as promised) against him, he'll use statistics showing illegal immigration and related crime being way down to beat them silly.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Steamforger wrote:I wonder who he thinks is going to run that wall project???? Because DHS isn't going to. They're a law enforcement agency, not an AE agency.
I volunteer you. You do that sort of thing, don't you? :mrgreen:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jered

Post by Jered »

Oh, hey, look

Seattle could lose $85 million by remaining a sanctuary city.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Can, and we probably will end up with it. The VA and that hospital in Aurora is a shining example of a non AE agency trying to manage its own construction projects and failing spectacularly. Then our guys go in, take it away from them, cut it to the bones to enable it to be finished and are perceived as the bad guys by everybody involved because of cuts. Like how that hospital's glass covered grand entrance is now sheet metal.

My point here is the agencies have been not backfilling retirees and not hiring if they don't have to for several years now. My district was nearly 900 people several years ago. I believe we're a little over 600 now. If there is a long term hiring freeze and people keep retiring or quitting, we're going to be stretched pretty thin. My office of 6 is already covering 22,000 contractor exposure hours per month. If I lose 3 to retirement, which I expect to in the next couple of years, I'll have 1 inspector for that same projected rate of work. Then add in our part of the hundred billion in new projects the next year.

No one builds new infrastructure on spec. A company like Skanska or Turner doesn't build a new wastewater treatment plant and hang a for sale sign on it. Infrastructure is paid for by tax dollars and AE agencies develop, write, award, and manage those contracts through to closeout.

Trump's hiring freeze and his 1 trillion dollar infrastructure plan largely contradict each other.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Well besides a hiring freeze, they might want to look at the hires within the last 90 days or so. A lot of Fed agencies have been trying to get people in before the change of power in order to keep their budgets at a certain level. A friend of mine just got hired a week before the swearing in for this very reason (of course he wasn't "told" this).
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Steamforger wrote:I wonder who he thinks is going to run that wall project???? Because DHS isn't going to. They're a law enforcement agency, not an AE agency.
If I wanted to do it, I would just point the Seabees at it, give them a budget and tell them message to Garcia.

In any regard though, while walls are nice and all, the demand side is more important. Mandatory E-Verify and high penalties for knowingly hiring illegals would fix the situation much more quickly and not require nearly as much spending.